Friday, June 19, 2015

A pair of Over the Rainbow cards

One of the stamp sets I was really excited about in the new Stampin' Up! catalog is Over the Rainbow. I love rainbows and rainbow colors and arranging things in rainbow order and anything else rainbow-y, so this set went right on my first order.

I had a chance to play with this new set last week, and here are the cards I created:

Card made with Over the Rainbow stamp set.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Over the Rainbow
Paper: 110-lb white card stock (Recollections)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Real Red, Pumpkin Pie, Daffodil Delight, Cucumber Crush, Tempting Turquoise, Pacific Point, Rich Razzleberry
Accessories: Chalk Talk Framelits dies, Decorative Dots embossing folder, Brights Sequin Assortment, Dimensionals, Glue Dots

I think this is such a cheerful-looking card; it would be the perfect way to encourage someone going through a tough time or just having a not-so-great day. I started by stamping the word "rainbow" on white card stock and then filled in the letters using the small "smudge" stamps in the set. I cut out the word by hand, which actually wasn't too bad since it's mostly straight lines. I made the clouds by embossing two die-cut word bubble shapes and adhered them to the ends of the "rainbow." I decided where I wanted to place the focal image (without adhering it), stamped the sun and sentiment, and then attached the rainbow to the card with Dimensionals. I added a few blue sequins to look like raindrops.

Card made with Over the Rainbow stamp set.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Over the Rainbow
Paper: Soft Sky, Whisper White card stock; gold paper (retired)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Smoky Slate
Accessories: 1-3/4" scallop circle punch, 1-1/2" circle punch, Chalk Talk Framelits dies, gold dot washi tape (Kamoi Kakoshi Co.), Bitty Buttons, gold thread, sponge, Dimensionals, Mono Multi liquid glue

This card just uses one stamp from the Over the Rainbow set: the sentiment. I love the fonts used in this set, and the sentiments are very different from others that I have, so it's a great addition to my collectoin. I think this card is pretty self-explanatory, so I'll just point out a few details:
- To make the sun I punched a scallop circle from gold paper and then punched it again, rotating the shape so the points for the second punch are in the middle of the scallops. (If you stick the scalloped circle on a self-stick note, you'll have a little handle so it's easier to make the second punch.) I also added a solid circle in the center. I used this technique on another recent card, and I love it.
- The clouds are lightly sponged with Smoky Slate ink to add a little dimension.
- I'd die-cut two clouds (which are really word bubble shapes), but I decided I wanted to have three clouds on the card. Solution? Cut one cloud in half and glue the pieces right to the edge of the card.

I'm looking forward to seeing what other designs I come up with for this set. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: