Thursday, June 6, 2013

A cute souvenir ... three years late

In January 2010 I took a trip to San Diego with my friend Lisa. Our hotel was right on the beach, and we spent a lot of time strolling in the sand, collecting seashells and soaking up the sun. It was a fabulous break from the cold and snow of Minnesota. On one of our excursions about town we stopped at a needlework/knitting shop, and we each bought a kit to make a beaded cross-stitch flamingo magnet. Lisa started her project while we were still in San Diego, but I held on to mine.

When I was trying to decide what craft projects to bring on the retreat last weekend, I put that kit into my bag. By Friday night during the retreat I had already finished all the card sets I'd planned to make, plus a few extra cards, so on Saturday morning I decided to start the flamingo magnet. I didn't expect to complete the kit, but I had it all stitched and beaded shortly after dinner on Saturday night. (And as it happens, Lisa was also on the craft retreat, so it was fun to reminisce while I was stitching.) So in less than a day I had a cute little souvenir that I'd been holding on to for more than three years. Better late than never! But best of all, I actually finished all the projects I brought on the retreat -- I'll be sharing the rest of the cards I made later this week.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: