Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Elmo card tutorial

A few weeks ago I needed a birthday card for a two-year-old, and I decided to go with a tried and true toddler favorite: Elmo. I know there are many punch-art Elmo cards out there -- and all the ones I looked at were adorable! -- but I wanted to create this one on my own, from scratch. So I pulled out some punches and Framelits dies and got to work.

Punch-art kids card shaped like the face of Elmo.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Paper: Real Red, Pumpkin Pie, Whisper White, Basic Black card stock
Ink: Real Red, Pumpkin Pie, white gel pen
Accessories: Ovals Collection Framelits dies; punches: 1-3/4" circle, 3/4" circle, extra-large oval; sponge; Dimensionals; Mono Multi liguid glue

I think he's pretty cute. And I dare those of you who are familiar with Sesame Street to not start singing (or at least thinking) "La la la la, la la la la, Elmo's World." I know that ran through my head a few times.

While I was making the card I remembered to take pictures of different steps, so I put together the following tutorial. You can click on the small pictures to enlarge them. If you have any questions, leave a comment below.

Step 1: Fold an 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" piece of Real Red card stock in half to make an A2-sized card base (4-1/4" x 5-1/2").

How to mark the center scallops on the scalloped oval Framelits die.
Step 2: Mark the center scallops on the largest die in the Ovals Collection Framelits dies. This will help ensure that the die is straight when cutting out the card base. (To do this I cut a scalloped oval out of scratch paper, folded it in half both ways, unfolded it and placed it back inside the die. Then I used a permanent marker to make a dot at the scallops next to the creases.)

Cut the card base with the scalloped oval die.
Step 3: Cut the card base with the scalloped oval die. Be sure that part of the folded edge of the card base is inside the die. A little disclaimer: Framelits dies do specify that they are designed to be used with a single sheet of paper, card stock or other material. Although it was tight, I didn't have a problem cutting through both layers of card stock, but it could affect the product warranty if any damage occurs.

Punch and cut out the remaining shapes.
Step 4: Punch and cut out the remaining shapes: 2 large white circles (1-3/4" circle punch), 2 small black circles (3/4" circle punch), 1 Pumpkin Pie oval (extra-large oval punch), 1 black oval (third-smallest die from the Ovals Collection Framelits dies).

The edges of the nose shape and card base sponged with ink.
Step 5: Sponge the edges of the Pumpkin Pie oval (nose) and the card base with the corresponding ink colors.

Elmo's eyes added to the card base.
Step 6: To make the eyes, glue the small black circles on the large white circles. Glue the eyes to the card base so one eye slightly overlaps the other and they both stick up above the top of the card base, hiding the fold. If desired, use a white gel pen to add highlights in the black circles.

Elmo's nose added to the card base.
Step 7: Use Dimensionals to adhere the nose so it overlaps the bottom of the eyes.

Elmo's mouth added to the card base.
Step 8: Cut the black oval in half. Glue half of it onto the card base so it is under the nose.

Inside the card is a plain white oval to write or stamp your greeting.
Step 9: If desired, cut out a white oval to adhere inside the card for your greeting. I used the largest non-scalloped die.




That's it! Because the eyes stick out past the card base you will need a larger envelope for the card; I used a 5" x 7" envelope.

Thanks for stopping by!


No comments: