Tuesday, June 11, 2013

My summer journal

As I mentioned in my last post, I finally broke out my This and That journal from Stampin' Up!® last weekend. I had been dragging my feet about starting it because I couldn't decide exactly how I wanted to use the journal. I finally decided that I would document Summer 2013. I have several events happening this summer -- the craft retreat, my 15-year college reunion, attending the Stampin' Up! convention -- but I want it to be more than just things I do. So I also decided to include things like my favorite TV shows of the moment, a list of the books I read this summer, fun and/or crafty ideas from magazines, etc. Basically whatever I want! Here are a few pictures of what I have done so far:

The cover of my Summer 2013 This and That journal.

I used my Cricut with the Jubilee cartridge to cut the title letters from the Epic Day This and That Designer Series Paper (DSP). I kept it simple and unfussy, since I am not a very fancy person. I think I will add some coordinating ribbon to the coil when I am done, but for now I left it bare so I can fold the cover back easily.

Samples of completed pages in my Summer 2013 This and That journal.
Samples of completed pages in my Summer 2013 This and That journal.

I'm using all the products in the Epic Day This and That line (DSP, Designer Stickers, rotary stamp and washi tape) as well as a few other items (glue stick, snips and Basic Black ink spot). For the journaling I have a set of fine-point markers I bought at a local art store -- I like to write with about as fine a point as I can find. I have everything except the DSP gathered together in a little bag that's easy to take with me if I want to journal on the go.

Samples of completed pages in my Summer 2013 This and That journal.
I used a strip of washi tape just along the top of these collector's checklists. You can unfold the bottom of the lists to
see the whole page, or you can lift them up to see when and where I got each of my Lego minifigures this summer
(see right page).
Samples of completed pages in my Summer 2013 This and That journal.

For the most part these pages are grouped together near the beginning of my journal, but I also let myself skip pages if, for instance, I didn't like the way the background paper looked with the photos I was using. There's not really any rhyme or reason to the order of things. Once I got my first page started (the Festival of Nations page above), everything just started coming fast and furious. It was pretty awesome to not worry about things being perfect, which I usually do when I make a scrapbook.

Samples of completed pages in my Summer 2013 This and That journal.

I think I'll be able to get a few more pages done this week; I'm just waiting for some pictures I ordered. And in the meantime, who knows what else I'll decide to include in my summer journal ... Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: