Friday, May 24, 2013

The Open Sea trio

I seem to be on a bit of a roll with masculine cards lately, which is great because I can never have too many masculine cards. And since I'm still getting the hang of using washi tape, I decided to combine the two and see what happened. I used most of the same basic cards to make three cards with The Open Sea stamp set from Stampin' Up!®.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: The Open Sea
Card stock: Sahara Sand, Naturals Ivory
Ink: Sahara Sand, Midnight Muse, Basic Gray, Cherry Cobbler
Accessories: 1" square punch (to make a mask for the "stamps"), Postage Stamp punch, This and That Epic Day washi tape, world map/red-blue stripe washi tape (Recollections), Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers), linen thread, pewter jumbo eyelet, Simply Scored scoring tool, Dimensionals

For all three cards I started with a Sahara Sand card base and rounded two of the corners. I stamped an image on the right side of the background and lightly tapped the Sahara Sand ink pad over the card front to add a distressed look. I adhered two strips of washi tape along the top of the card and added a piece of linen thread between them. I stamped the anchor (Basic Gray), compass (Cherry Cobbler) and ship (Midnight Muse) images on Naturals Ivory card stock and punched them out with the Postage Stamp punch. (For more details about how to make the faux postage stamps, see the post titled "Faux postage stamp tutorial.") I adhered them to the card front and added a jumbo eyelet in the lower left corner.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: The Open Sea
Card stock: Sahara Sand, Naturals Ivory, Midnight Muse
Ink: Sahara Sand, Midnight Muse, Basic Gray, Poppy Parade
Accessories: 1" square punch (to make a mask for the "stamps"), Postage Stamp punch, world map/red-blue stripe washi tape (Recollections), Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers), linen thread, pewter jumbo eyelet, Simply Scored scoring tool, Dimensionals

This card is essentially the same as the first one, with a few minor details. I added another stamped image to the backgroundchanged the Cherry Cobbler ink to Poppy Parade to better match the striped washi tape and added a Midnight Muse card stock flag to the upper right corner. This card is my favorite of the three.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: The Open Sea
Card stock: Sahara Sand, Naturals Ivory
Ink: Sahara Sand, Midnight Muse, Basic Gray, Poppy Parade
Accessories: 1" square punch (to make a mask for the "stamps"), Postage Stamp punch, This and That Epic Day washi tape, world map/red-blue stripe washi tape (Recollections), Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers), linen thread, pewter jumbo eyelet, Simply Scored scoring tool, Dimensionals

For this card, which has a simpler layout than the others, I switched to a vertical orientation and left the background clean. I applied four strips of washi tape, all different styles, to the bottom of the card. I used Dimensionals to adhere the three faux stamps along the left side and added a jumbo eyelet in the upper right corner.



Do you like one of these cards better than the others? Leave me a comment and let me know. Thanks for stopping by!



No comments: