Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Gift box with flower band

Today I'm going to take a little break from birthday cards to show you the fun gift box I made for my mom's Mother's Day gift. I had chosen one of the blank cards from my stash -- a card with three bright flower buttons -- and stamped a Happy Mother's Day sentiment inside, and I wanted to decorate one of Stampin' Up!®'s kraft gift boxes to coordinate with the card. Here's the result:

Gift box supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Paper: Brights Collection Designer Series Paper (DSP) Patterns Stack: Real Red, Pumpkin Pie, Daffodil Delight, Old Olive
Accessories: Kraft gift box, Fun Flowers die, Sweet Stitches Big Designer Buttons, Whisper White taffeta ribbon, Dimensionals, Scor-Tape (Scor-Pal)
Note: For a list of supplies for the card, see the link above.

To create the band around the box, I cut a 12" long strip of Real Red polka dot DSP. (I didn't write down the width of the strip, but I think it was about 2-1/2".) The strip wasn't quite long enough to go around the box, so I put some Scor-Tape on each end of a small scrap and adhered it to the two ends of the large strip. This part will be covered by the flower, so it doesn't need to look perfect. Just remember not to adhere the DSP strip to the box or it won't slide on and off.

I wanted a second color of DSP on the band, so I cut a 12" long (and about 1" wide) piece of striped Pumpkin Pie DSP. I put four pieces of Scor-Tape evenly spaced along the back of the DSP and adhered it directly to the Real Red DSP. (One tip: I removed the backing on the Scor-Tape one piece at a time, as I was ready to press down each section, so the strip didn't accidentally stick to anything else.)

To make the flower, I cut one of each size flower from the Fun Flowers die out of Daffodil Delight DSP (I used a different pattern for each flower). For the two larger flowers, I gently curved the sides of each petal up to create dimension. For the smallest flower, I snipped between the scallops on the petals. I layered the flowers together with Dimensionals, and in the center I added a large Chocolate Chip button tied with Whisper White taffeta ribbon.

To create the leaves, I cut the middle-sized flower out of Old Olive DSP, trimmed off two petals, curled them up, and adhered them to the back of the flower between the petals.

I used Dimensionals to adhere the finished flower to the band of DSP. I placed the Dimensionals on the strips of DSP instead of the back of the flower to make sure I didn't adhere the flower to the box. That's it! The band and flower slide on and off the box so it can be reused again and again.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: