Sunday, May 19, 2013

Celebrate with the guys

As promised, here are the last of the birthday cards -- four masculine cards -- I made for my grandma as part of her Mother's Day present.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!® unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Plane & Simple
Paper: Sahara Sand, Basic Black, Very Vanilla card stock; Newsprint Designer Series Paper (DSP); vellum card stock
Ink: Jet Black StazOn, Sahara Sand
Accessories: Linen thread, metallic eyelets (unknown), paper piercer, Dimensionals

I love the map print in the Newsprint DSP, and I think it works so well with the Plane & Simple stamp set. It is a dark print, though, so to help the airplane image stand out against the map, I layered a piece of vellum card stock over the DSP. To create the look of the plane pulling the banner, I used a paper piercer to poke holes in the left corners of the stamped banner. I threaded the ends of a small piece of linen thread through the holes and adhered them to the back of the banner. I pinched the middle of the strand of linen thread and adhered that behind the tail of the plane. Both the banner and the plane are attached to the card with Dimensionals.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: By the Tide
Card stock: Glossy white, Island Indigo
Ink: Island Indigo, Coastal Cabana, Soft Sky, Basic Brown
Accessories: Antique Brass jumbo eyelet, hemp twine, sponge

I used the Triple Time Stamping technique on this card, and it was inspired by a card made by Janet Nagle. I used a sponge to apply the blue inks to the glossy card stock, moving from darkest at the bottom to lightest at the top. Then I stamped the coral and seashell images along the bottom half of the card and three fish near the top. After layering the stamped panels with Island Indigo card stock, I wrapped a piece of hemp twine around the card front and tied it to a jumbo eyelet for a nautical feel.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Label Love
Card stock: Naturals Ivory, Close to Cocoa, Old Olive
Ink: Close to Cocoa, Old Olive
Accessories: Twill ribbon, Old Olive 1/8" taffeta ribbon, Woodgrain embossing folder, Artisan Label punch, Naturals Designer Buttons, linen thread, sponge, Dimensionals

This is a very simple card, but I love the natural look and feel of it. It's hard to tell in the picture, but I sponged Close to Cocoa ink over the embossed card stock to create some additional depth in the woodgrain texture. To make the focal image, I used markers to apply ink directly on the stamp -- Close to Cocoa for the border and Old Olive for the sentiment -- before stamping and punching out the image. I used Dimensionals to adhere the focal image over a strip of layered ribbons.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Woo Hoo!
Card stock: Whisper White, Early Espresso, So Saffron, textured Wild Wasabi
Ink: Early Espresso, So Saffron, Wild Wasabi, Real Red, Chocolate Chip
Accessories: Early Espresso striped grosgrain ribbon, 1/2" circle punch, Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder, Glue Dots, Dimensionals

The stamped image I used for the focal point on this card actually has a scalloped edge around the border. I wanted clean straight lines for this card, so I simply cut off that part of the stamped image and used the dashed line as the outside edge. I also wanted the cake to really stand out, so I stamped the image on another piece of card stock, colored it in (yellow cake with chocolate frosting is my all-time classic favorite) and then carefully cut it out. I adhered the colored section over the image on the card with Glue Dots, so it has just a bit of dimension. I added more texture to the card by embossing a piece of Early Espresso card stock with polka dots, adhering a strip of ribbon near the bottom of the card and gluing a series of punched circles below the ribbon.

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Janet N. said...

Hi Andrea, I love your rendition of my By the Tide - Triple Stamping card! Very nice. I especially like the addition of the string as an embellishment. Thanks for the link info you left on my blog. I enjoyed seeing your card!!

Janet