Monday, April 1, 2013

A taste of textures

When I am looking for a little something to add to a card, I often find myself reaching for one of my embossing folders. I love how adding a bit of texture can really make a card stand out. And if adding a little bit of one texture is fun, what about adding a taste of several textures, all together on one card?

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!®):
Stamps: Curly Cute
Paper: Whisper White, Real Red, Bashful Blue card stock; Natural Composition Specialty Designer Series Paper (DSP)
Ink: Crumb Cake
Accessories: Embossing folders: Houndstooth, Chevron, Vine Street, Perfect Polka Dots, Argyle, Honeycomb; Apothecary Accents Framelits dies; Essentials paper-piercing pack; paper-piercing tool and mat; 7/8" scallop circle punch; 1" square punch; Real Red 1/8" taffeta ribbon; Brights brads; Dimensionals

What do you think?  It reminds me of a quilt sampler, but instead of different square patterns, there are different textures.

For this card, I used six different embossing folders for the main textures and three designs from the Natural Composition Specialty DSP for more subtle textures. The squares are each 1", and the margins between the squares are just a tiny bit wider than 1/4".

To make the focal piece, I stamped the sentiment and then die cut it using the label shape from the Apothecary Accents Framelits dies. I pierced a border around the edges of the label to add some texture. (It's hard to tell in the photo, but I pierced from the back side of the tag so the little bumps are on the front.) For some color, I added a scallop circle behind each of the two curved edges (love that the new 7/8" scallop circle punch creates a perfect layer!) and a brad in the middle. I wrapped Real Red 1/8" taffeta ribbon around the card front and adhered the label over the ribbon with Dimensionals.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: