Saturday, April 27, 2013

Veteran thank-you card

A couple of weeks ago in an online forum I came across a post from a Stampin' Up!® demonstrator with a special card request. She was asking people to send cards for a World War II veteran who was participating in an Honor Flight to the WWII memorial in Washington, D.C. I was happy to be able to help with the request, so I made this patriotic card:

Supplies (all Stampin Up! unless otherwise noted):
Card stock: Riding Hood Red, Not Quite Navy, River Rock
Ink: Soft Suede
Accessories: Star punch, Stripes embossing folder, Square Lattice embossing folder, paper piercer, Scor-Bug embosser (Scor-Pal), hemp twine, Cherry Cobbler baker's twine, sponge, Dimensionals

It's a simple card, but I love how the layout is reminiscent of a flag. I embossed a piece of Cherry Cobbler card stock with the Stripes embossing folder and then added a row of pierced holes between some of the stripes. For the upper left corner I embossed a square of Not Quite Navy card stock with the Square Lattice embossing folder and punched a star from River Rock card stock. To add a distressed look, I sponged the edges of all three pieces with Soft Suede ink, and then I assembled the card. For a little embellishment, I tied a piece of hemp twine and a piece of Cherry Cobbler baker's twine together around the bottom of the card.

Once I was done I wrote a short note inside the card thanking the veteran for his service, and sent the card on its merry way. This was a simple card to make, but it was for a great cause. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: