Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Festival of hearts

The holiday season is in full swing, and I need to put up the Christmas decorations and finish making (and addressing!) my Christmas cards. But sometimes I need to take a break from all the holiday hoopla, so today I will be sharing three love-themed cards using the Festival of Prints Designer Series Paper (DSP) stack from Stampin' Up!®. These cards would be great for Valentine's Day or any day you need to send a special "I love you."

This is my last post in the "Festival of Prints parade," but if you missed the previous two posts, check out Festival of ornaments (Nov. 25, 2012) and More Christmas cards with Festival of Prints (Nov. 26, 2012).

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Lots of Thoughts
Paper: Crumb Cake, Island Indigo, Cherry Cobbler, Very Vanilla card stock; Festival of Prints DSP
Ink: Cherry Cobbler
Accessories: Heart punch, small star punch, paper piercer and mat, Essentials Paper-Piercing Pack, Dimensionals

This card (along with the other two in this post) will be headed to Operation Write Home, so I think the patriotic feel of this color combination is appropriate. If you look closely at the print on this sheet of DSP, you'll notice that the blue outlines around the red starburst images are actually a series of small dots. I continued that theme by paper piercing a border inside the heart and around the matted DSP. I added a blue star to pull out the blue in the DSP and a small banner with the sentiment. I really like the simple but eye-catching layout of this card.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: More Sayings and Such
Paper: Crumb Cake, Cherry Cobbler, Very Vanilla card stock; Festival of Prints DSP
Ink: Cherry Cobbler
Accessories: Fashionable Hearts Embosslits die, heart punch, Dotted Scallop Ribbon Border punch, Modern Label punch, paper piercer and mat, Essentials Paper-Piercing Pack, Cherry Cobbler baker's twine, Dimensionals, Mini Glue Dots

These cards are identical except for one difference. Can you spot it? On the card on the right I used Cherry Cobbler baker's twine to make three cross stitches in the punched strip of Cherry Cobbler card stock. I like the way the stitches turned out, but it was a bit of a pain to repeatedly fit the baker's twine through the little holes (the end kept fraying), and I didn't have the right size needle handy to simplify the process, so I decided to skip that detail for the second card. The chevron-pattern on the punched hearts is actually the print on the reverse side of the light blue pattern. I punched two hearts out of one of the short ends of the sheet of DSP, trimmed off the punched portion and then cut the rest of the sheet evenly in half, using each half on the bottom of a card.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!, unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Easy Events
Paper: Chocolate Chip, Very Vanilla, textured Cherry Cobbler card stock; Festival of Prints DSP
Ink: Chocolate Chip, Old Olive, Cherry Cobbler
Accessories: 2-3/8" scallop circle punch, Owl builder punch, brown ribbon (unknown), Dimensionals, Tombow Mono Multi liquid glue

This is a pretty straightforward card -- stamp, color, punch, layer -- so I won't say too much about it. The one detail I want to point out is that I used the Owl Builder punch to make the red heart on the tree and the vanilla hearts along the bottom of the DSP. I like that the heart shape is a little narrower than hearts sometimes are, and here they fit perfectly between the polka dots on the DSP.

I hope you enjoyed the "Festival of Prints parade" and found some ideas for using this fun DSP stack. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: