Sunday, November 11, 2012

Christmas cards from a sketch

This afternoon I was looking at some past sketch challenges on the Operation Write Home Web site, and I found one from October that really intrigued me because it was very different from card layouts I usually use (Sketch Challenge 143). Here is the sketch:

Sketch Challenge #143 with Tonic Studios!

I still have a few dozen Christmas cards left to make this year, so I decided to use this sketch to inspire a few holiday cards, using some patterned paper for the diagonal strips.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!® unless otherwise noted):
Card stock: Blitzen Collection pack from Basic Grey (Polar Blue, Pear, Cranberry, Dasher, Jingle Bells)
Accessories: Snow Burst embossing folder, mini silver brads, rhinestones, Little Felt Flurries, small and medium snowflake punches (EK Success), paper piercer, Mini Glue Dots, Tombow Mono Multi liquid glue

I embossed each card front with the Snow Burst embossing folder and then adhered the four strips of paper, each 1/2" wide, across the card. I glued a punched a snowflake on each of the top three strips and then added layered felt snowflakes in the lower right corner. I wanted a little bit of sparkle and shine, so on the left card I added rhinestones to the ends of the paper strips and in the middle of the punched and felt snowflakes. The card on the right has mini silver brads at the ends of the strips and in the center of the felt snowflakes.

I like the distressed look of this paper collection, but it's often hard for me to work with because it's not my usual style. This sketch was a really easy way to put together several of the prints and make a couple of quick holiday cards.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Card stock: Silver glimmer paper, Winter Bright Simply Scrappin' Kit: textured Pretty in Pink, Wild Wasabi and Real Red card stock, Designer Series Paper (DSP), stickers
Accessories: Stocking Builder punch, Merry Minis punch pack, Tombow Mono Multi liquid glue, Dimensionals 

I decided to make two more cards with the sketch, this time using the Winter Bright Simply Scrappin' Kit. I used Pretty in Pink and Wild Wasabi textured card stock from the kit for the card bases. For the strips I used the stickers from the kit; I like the different widths and patterns. (I also added a thin strip of silver glimmer paper to the card on the left.) I punched stockings from the DSP in the Winter Bright kit, added cuffs, toes and heels from coordinating card stock and then adhered the stockings to the cards with Dimensionals.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: