Friday, November 16, 2012

Stocking trio, penguin in snow

Christmas is coming quickly -- I can't believe that Thanksgiving is already less than a week away! -- and I need to get moving with my Christmas cards. So today I'm going to share two Christmas cards I made this week with the Stampin' Up!® set Jolly Bingo Bits: a trio of stockings and a little penguin in the snow.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Jolly Bingo Bits
Card stock: Soft Suede, Whisper White, Lucky Limeade, Pool Party, Real Red, silver glimmer paper
Ink: Soft Suede, Lucky Limeade, Pool Party, Real Red
Accessories: Argyle embossing folder, Stocking Builder punch, corner rounder, Tombow Mono Multi liquid glue, Dimensionals

I think this may be one of my all-time favorite Christmas cards. This photo doesn't quite capture the colors or the shine of the glimmer paper, but in person it's fabulous (in my own humble opinion). I embossed pieces of Lucky Limeade, Pool Party and Real Red card stock with the Argyle embossing folder and then punched out the stocking shapes. I was going to use white card stock for the cuffs, toes and heel pieces, but it looked a little blah, so I switched to the glimmer paper. Since I don't have any other embellishments on the card, I think that sparkle is a nice touch. To fill the stockings, I stamped and cut out two presents, two gingerbread men and two candy canes and glued them to the back of the stockings. I had planned to add something to the background -- layers, stamping or embossing -- but when I laid out the stockings on the plain card, I loved it just like that. I haven't made any multiples of my Christmas cards yet, but I may just have to make a few more of this card.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Jolly Bingo Bits, Petite Pairs
Card stock: Pool Party, Whisper White
Ink: Basic Gray, Pumpkin Pie, Old Olive, Chocolate Chip, Daffodil Delight, Pool Party
Accessories: Frost White Shimmer Paint, sponge dauber, Dimensionals, Mini Glue Dots

I don't really think of Jolly Bingo Bits as a stamp set for creating scenes, but that was what I set out to do with this card. I started with a Pool Party card base. For the background I tore three pieces of Whisper White card stock to look like hills and then used a sponge dauber to apply Frost White Shimmer Paint to the torn edges before layering the pieces on the bottom half of the card base. Then I applied shimmer paint with a dauber to the snowflake stamp and added snowflakes on the top part of the card. The shimmer paint is actually a little more subtle in person than it looks in this picture; it catches the light as you tilt it.

For the rest of the scene I stamped and cut out a penguin, four trees and a star. I did perform a little amputation with the star (cut off the dotted border) and the trees (cut off the small stars on the tops) so they fit a little better. Then it was just a matter of adding the pieces to the card and adding a sentiment.

I realized that I don't have any embellishments on either of these cards. It would be easy to add some ribbon or a few rhinestones, but I think I'll leave them as is. Sometimes simple is better. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: