Thursday, January 12, 2012

Watercolor blooms

This afternoon I had fun playing with one of my stamping supplies that I don't use very often: Watercolor Wonder Crayons. I paired them up with one of my floral stamp sets and made a bright, spring-feeling card:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!®):
Stamps: Awash with Flowers, Sincere Salutations
Paper: Watercolor paper; card stock: Very Vanilla, Basic Black, Certainly Celery
Ink: Jet Black StazOn, Certainly Celery; Watercolor Wonder Crayons: So Saffron, Certainly Celery, Always Artichoke, Regal Rose, Rose Red
Accessories: Aqua Painter, 1/8" Basic Black taffeta ribbon, basic pearls, oval punch, scalloped oval punch, paper piercer, mat pack, Dimensionals

There's nothing too complicated here: I stamped the flowers on watercolor paper, colored them with the Watercolor Wonder Crayons and then used an Aqua Painter to blend the colors. It's hard to tell in the photo, but I stamped and colored the three large leaves on a separate sheet of watercolor paper, cut them out and adhered them on the card with Dimensionals. I embellished the card with some ribbon, pearls and a greeting.

One of the things I've always liked about watercolor art is the free, imperfect look of it, the colors blending together and flowing outside the lines. That was what I wanted to achieve here, but I didn't quite get there. The blending is okay (it looks better in person than in this picture), but the colors still aren't "flowy" enough. Overall, though, I'm pleased with the result. I'll just have to keep trying it and find out if practice makes perfect.

No comments: