Sunday, January 15, 2012

Birthday 'fishes'

One of my cousins is turning five this week, so it's time for another birthday card. I needed a cute boyish card, and frankly, it was nice to have a little change of pace from the pink and red valentines. Without further ado, here is the final product:

Blue side stair-step card designed to look like an ocean scene. Light brown card stock stamped with seashells is the sand, and stamped and cut-out turtle, octopus and fish are attached to the "steps." Greeting is "birthday fishes."
Supplies (all Stampin' Up® unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Rough Edges Alphabet, Summer Splash, Shore Thing
Card stock: Pumpkin Pie, Old Olive, Crushed Curry, Crumb Cake, outer stair step card - Festive Variety pack (The Paper Cut)
Ink: Pumpkin Pie, Old Olive, Crushed Curry, Crumb Cake, Bermuda Bay
Accessories: Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack, Dimensionals, Mini Glue Dots, Wire Works copper wire, multipurpose liquid glue

I bought a pack of pre-cut and -scored stair-step cards several months ago, and I thought this would be a good time to try them out. I decided an ocean theme would work well because the sea animals could be popping out of the "waves" created by the steps.

Close up of light brown card stock stamped with seashells as the sand.
I started by making a layer of "sand" at the bottom of the card by stamping a strip of Crumb Cake card stock with the speckled sand image from the Shore Thing set. I ripped along the top of the strip to add more texture and then stamped, cut out and adhered a few seashells and a little crab.

To create the "ocean," I first stamped the wave images in Bermuda Bay repeatedly on the steps of the card base. Then I stamped and cut out a turtle, octopus and three fish from Pumpkin Pie, Old Olive and Crushed Curry card stock.

Close up of octopus on blue "step" and two fish attached with wire.
I needed something to fill the empty space on the right side of the card above the top fold so I decided to have two of the fish leaping out of the "water." I cut two pieces of wire and used liquid glue to adhere the wires to the backs of two of the fish. (To cover the wire and to make it a bit more stable, I glued a small circle of the same color card stock over the wire.) I gently curved the wires and glued the ends to the front of the top step. I let the glue dry a bit and used a Dimensional to adhere the octopus over the ends of the wires. Then I added the turtle and the last fish on the lower step.

I wanted to create my own greeting for the left side of the card, so I went with a little pun: "birthday fishes." To add some color on that side, I used the Rough Edges Alphabet set to stamp the individual letters for the greeting on the different colors of card stock. I punched them out with the circle punch from the Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack and adhered them to the card with Mini Glue Dots.



I had a"fin" time making this card. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: