Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy new year!

It seems crazy, but 2012 is here! I know it's going to take me some time to get used to writing that in dates; I feel like I just mastered 2011. But then yesterday morning I went to the grocery store, and when I wrote the date on my check, I almost wrote 12/31/99. Oops. It happens every once in a while that I come up with some random year while I'm writing the date, like 1986 or something. Strange.

My sister and I had a quiet celebration last night. Our parents and brother came over with dinner (Chinese food!) and then we played a few games. For Christmas I gave my brother a game called Munchkin. It's a dungeon-adventure card game -- slaying monsters, cursing opponents, getting funny magic items and the like. It's fairly popular, was recommended to me and sounds like a lot of fun. Word of warning: don't start trying to learn this game at 11 p.m. We read through about half the instructions, which was a lot of explanation about the different types of cards and how/when to use them, and pretty much just gave up. I'm sure it's very fun and amusing once you have those basics down, but it was a little too much for us in our already-tired-but-we-have-to-stay-up-until-midnight state. Then we did the countdown, yelled "Happy new year" (in a reserved way, since we're in an apartment after all) and that was pretty much it.

One thing I didn't spend any time doing last night was thinking up resolutions. I've tried making resolutions a few times, but it always seems like a great big way to set yourself up for disappointment. Just because I hang up a new calendar doesn't mean I'm going to become a different person overnight, so why create more stress about it? Of course, that doesn't mean there aren't things I want to change or improve about myself. But I try (note the key word "try") to think about and work toward those things all year round, not just save them all up for January 1. I know, however, that resolutions are important to a lot of people, so if you've made any for yourself, I wish you much success in your endeavors!

Well, I guess that's about it for now. I've been doing a little stamping today, so maybe I'll have some cards to share with you tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by and have the happiest of new years!

No comments: