Thursday, October 6, 2011

Telescoping snowman card

Back in August when I made my first telescoping card for a challenge, I saw that a few other stampers had taken the idea and made adorable snowmen cards. I finally had a chance to make one myself.

This is the snowman fully open.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!® unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Best Yet
Card stock: Whisper White, Basic Black, Real Red, Pumpkin Pie, Early Espresso
Ink: Real Red
Accessories: Standard Circles Large Nestabilities (Spellbinders), 1" square punch, Word Window punch, Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack, 1/4" circle punch, Small Heart punch, white brads, Dazzling Details

I used three of the circle dies from the Standard Circles Large Nestabilities: the largest, the third largest and the third smallest. I attached the circles together with small white brads.

I punched small black circles for the eyes, mouth and buttons and cut an orange triangle for the nose. For the hat, I punched a black 1" square and a Word Window shape. I added a small strip of red to one side of the black square and then glued the square onto the Word Window so it overlapped just a little. I freehand cut two twig arms and added a punched heart in one of his hands. For a little sparkle, I covered the nose, heart and hatband with Dazzling Details. I really wanted him to have a scarf, but I wasn't sure how to add one without affecting the ability to turn the circles.


I used the bottom circle of the snowman for a stamped greeting and a space to write a message. To "close" the card, you just twist the circles together:

This is the snowman with the bottom circle
twisted up.
Here is the snowman card closed.

The snowman card will fit in a standard A2 size envelope when it's closed (here is a picture so you can see it). I think I might also try gluing the bottom circle of the snowman to another piece of card stock so it's a little sturdier. Maybe a 4-1/4" x 5-1/2" piece of blue with a torn border of white at the bottom to look like a snowbank. Then I could add some sparkly snowflakes, too.

This was a fun card to make, and I think it was easier than it looks. I'm definitely going to make more of these for my Christmas cards this year!

No comments: