Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Birthdays in blue and brown

Sometimes when I sit down to make cards I already have an idea of what kind of card I want to make or what I want it to look like (although often the finished product is nothing like what I imagined at the beginning). Other times I start out with a certain product, such as a stamp set, color combo or specific accessory, and build a card around that.

For the cards I'm sharing today, I started out with a pack of four fabric tags in shades of blues and browns (another one of those supplies that I've had for years). I selected some coordinating colors and made four birthday cards with the tags. Here are the first two cards:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!® unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Plane & Simple
Card stock: Bordering Blue, Buckaroo Blue, Whisper White, textured brown (source unknown)
Ink: Bordering Blue, Buckaroo Blue, Soft Suede
Accessories: Fabric tags (Making Memories), 2-1/2" circle punch, Word Window punch, Modern Label punch, Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack, 5/16" neutrals brads, blue brad (source unknown), Dots & Designs rub-ons, mat pack, paper piercer, Dimensionals, Simply Scored tool

I thought the Plane & Simple set worked well with this color combo, so I used it to create a couple of masculine birthday cards. I tried a new (for me) technique on the left card. I have this stamp set in clear-mount style, so I put both the stamps I used on the background (goggles and compass) together on the clear block and stamped the card. With both stamps on the block, it was twice as fast!

I struggled a little bit with the card on the right. I decided to add the rub-on dots to the tag for a pop of color and pattern. I've used rub-ons on ribbon before, and you do have to use a little more pressure when rubbing because the surface isn't smooth like paper, but they still work just fine. Well, I discovered that these tags weren't quite so easy. I think it took me about twenty minutes of very firm rubbing in every possible direction to transfer the dots onto the tag. Sheesh. My arm was sore by the time I was done. I think it looks nice, but I don't know that I'd try it again.

Here are the other two cards I made with the fabric tags:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Vintage Labels, Turtle & Co.
Card stock: Buckaroo Blue, Whisper White, Very Vanilla, textured brown (source unknown)
Ink: Bordering Blue, Buckaroo Blue, Soft Suede
Accessories: Vintage Wallpaper embossing folder, Stripes embossing folder, Fabric tags (Making Memories), French Blue grosgrain ribbon, Soft Suede taffeta ribbon, Large Oval punch, Scallop Edge Border punch, corner rounder, Blender Pen, Chit Chat rub-ons, Dimensionals

I used embossing folders to add texture to both of these cards -- a quick and easy way to make a background. For the top card, I thought the Vintage Wallpaper embossing folder worked well with the floral pattern on the tag. I like the feminine feel of this card even though it uses a traditionally masculine color combo.

For the bottom card, I went with an embossed stripe background. Combined with a simple scalloped edge and white rub-on greeting, it gives this card a clean, classic feel -- not too fussy, but definitely not boring.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: