Sunday, October 30, 2011

Ahoy, mateys!

Now that I'm done with all the October family birthdays, I was excited to be able to sit down yesterday and spend some time making whatever my little heart desired. I wanted to work on Christmas cards, since A) it's almost November already, and B) I have some fun new Christmas stamping goodies that I haven't even had a chance to use yet.

Sadly, my back decided to be achy yesterday, and I discovered that it wasn't very comfortable to sit for prolonged periods of time at my dining room/crafting table. Drats and double drats. I did, however, manage to make one card, and it's an idea that's been in my head for a few weeks:

Light blue card with layered teal card stock scalloped like waves. A light brown island has stamped and cut-out palm trees, pirate chickie and treasure chest (with glitter treasure). There is also a sailing boat, clouds and sun.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!®, unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Under the Sea set, Pirate Chickie, Small Solid Palm Trees (all DeNami Design)
Card stock: Cool Caribbean, Bermuda Bay, Whisper White, Daffodil Delight, Crumb Cake
Ink pad: Jet Black StazOn
Markers: Daffodil Delight, Bermuda Bay, Garden Green, Soft Suede, Pumpkin Pie, Early Espresso, Going Gray, Close to Cocoa, Real Red, Crumb Cake
Accessories: Cupcake Builder punch, 1" circle punch, hemp twine, wave pattern scissors (Provo Craft), Crystal Effects, Champagne Glass Glitter, Dimensionals

I suppose if I could only finish a single card, there's some consolation in the fact that it's a cute one (at least in my humble opinion). I bought the little Pirate Chickie stamp at the Rubber Stamp & Scrapbook Expo about a month ago. I already had the palm tree, boat and treasure chest stamps, so as soon as I saw the pirate, I knew I had to buy it so I could make this card.

I started out with the Cool Caribbean card base and added a layer of Bermuda Bay for the water. I tore a piece of Creamy Caramel into an island-y shape and adhered it on the "water." Then I added another layer of Bermuda Bay (with the hemp twine for embellishment) in front of the island and popped it up with Dimensionals to create some depth.

CLose up of island with pirate chickie and glitter-filled treasure chest.
I stamped the boat, trees, pirate and treasure chest on white card stock, colored them and cut them out. I tucked the boat behind one of the waves and played around with the placement of the other pieces until I had an arrangement I liked. To create the "treasure" in the chest, I put a small amount of Crystal Effects on the chest and then sprinkled on some Champagne Glass Glitter -- it has just the right sparkle. Then I used markers to add some sand and wave details.

For the sky, I used the Cupcake Builder punch to create clouds and a circle punch to make the sun. I left some open space in the upper right corner of the card in case I decide to stamp a greeting later. I'm pretty happy with how this card turned out. And I think it was easier than it looks; the only part that took some time was cutting out the little pieces, but I actually enjoy that.

Thanks for stopping by! Arrgh!

No comments: