Sunday, October 2, 2011

Pennants, polka dots and petals

It's fun -- and pretty gratifying -- when you have an idea that actually works out the way you imagine it. The last die I bought from Stampin' Up!® for my Big Shot was called Perfect Pennants. It has two scalloped circles (which I love for layering with circle punches) and three triangle shapes for making pennants and banners.

I've made a couple of banners as make-and-take projects at Stampin' Up! events, and they're very cute. But I'm not really likely to make many banners on my own, so I wanted another way to use the triangle shapes. That's when I had the idea to combine them to make diamond patterns. Here are two cards I made with this idea yesterday.



Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Paper: Regal Rose card stock, Au Chocolat DSP
Accessories: Perfect Pennants die, Boho Blossoms punch, pink and brown suede flowers (unknown), neutrals 5/16" brads, mat pack, paper piercer

For this card I cut four of the medium-sized triangle out of a piece of Au Chocolat DSP. I lined them up point to point and glued them on the front of the card. They fit almost perfectly; I just had to trim them a little bit. I used the piercing grid in the mat pack to pierce lines of holes in the Regal Rose card stock. I layered the two suede flowers with a flower from the Boho Blossoms punch and a Very Vanilla brad and glued them in the middle of the card.
 

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Paper: Regal Rose card stock, Very Vanilla card stock, Au Chocolat DSP
Accessories: Perfect Pennants die, Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder, Boho Blossoms punch, pink and brown suede flowers (unknown), neutrals 5/16" brads, Dotted Scallop Ribbon Border punch 

To make this card I first embossed the card front with the Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder. Then I cut two of the largest triangles from the Perfect Pennants die out of the Au Chocolat DSP. I turned the triangles point to point, overlapped the points until the dot pattern on both pieces was lined up and glued the triangles together. I also trimmed off the end of the point that was on top so it didn't show from behind the flowers.

I punched two strips of Very Vanilla card stock with the Dotted Scallop Ribbon Border punch and then cut the strips in half lengthwise. I glued the half strips behind the triangles so just a little bit of the scallops was visible. Then I adhered everything to the card, trimming the ends of the triangles so they lined up with the sides of the card. I finished the card with the layered suede flowers, punched flower and Very Vanilla brad.

I really like the look of these cards, and I can't wait to try this technique with other colors and patterns. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: