Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Blue and yellow baptism card

I've mentioned before that religious cards are not my forte, so I always struggle a bit when I have to make a card for a religious occasion. I usually try to use a stamped or die-cut cross as the focal point, which is what I did for my cousin's baptism in February. This time I combined the cross with some blue and yellow patterned papers in a design that would also work as an Easter card.

Supplies:
Stamps: Crosses of Hope (Stampin' Up!)
Paper: 80lb Natural card stock (Cougar), Summer 6" x 6" bundle (Authentique)
Ink: VersaMark (Tsukineko), Island Indigo (Stampin' Up!)
Accessories: Square Flip-Its #2 dies (Sizzix), Nested Square X-Stitch dies (Rubbernecker Stamps), Pinewood Planks embossing folder (Stampin' Up!), gold embossing powder (Stampin' Up!), Share What You Love Artisan Pearls (Stampin' Up!), Dimensionals (Stampin' Up!), sanding block (Close to My Heart)

I haven't used my Flip-Its dies very often, but they were perfect for this card. The center square was just the right size to highlight the cross, and the flip side of the center square was just enough space to stamp/write a short sentiment.

I cut the card base out of a cream card stock. For the sides of the card, I chose two paper from a coordinating pack and used the layering dies from the die set to cut out the pieces. The blue piece on the right side seemed too plain, though, so I embossed it with the Pinewood Planks embossing folder and lightly sanded the top to add some texture.

I discovered that one of the dies in a set of nested cross-stitch border dies was the perfect size to fit the center of the card. I used that die to cut out a layer of yellow paper and adhered it to the card base. I stamped the cross on light blue paper, embossed it with gold embossing powder, and cut it out by hand. I stamped "God bless you" on the reverse side of the center square and then used Dimensionals to attach cross to the front of the square. To finish the card I added three tiny yellow pearls near the upper right corner of the card.

Thanks for stopping by today! I did manage to make a couple of birthday cards today, so I hope that's a good sign, and maybe next time I'll be able to create a few more. Stay safe and be well!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The flip card base highlights the cross very nicely - a cross is certainly perfect for any religious occasion. The colors work well too - for a meaningful but happy occasion.
Judy

Sunshine said...

What a lovely Baptism card! The colours are so pretty together, and the cross is just perfect! You did a great job of hand cutting the cross! I like te little pearls too, they add a nice touch.
Sunshine.
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

Thanks, Judy!

Andrea said...

Thank you, Sunshine!