Thursday, October 5, 2017

Congrats on your new home

Over the summer two of my cousins moved into new houses. I wanted to send them each a card to celebrate the occasion, and this is one of those cards:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Paper: Fossil house-shaped card base (The Paper Cut); Soft Sky, Old Olive, Summer Starfruit, Real Red, Rich Razzleberry, textured Soft Suede card stock; The Sweetest Thing - Tangerine paper pad (My Mind's Eye); window sheets
Accessories: Brick Wall embossing folder, Grand Flower Box die (Poppy Stamps), curtains from window die (Our Daily Bread), Flowers and Stems die (Taylored Expressions), Ice White Pearl Pen (Viva Decor), micro pop-dots (Forever in Time), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute Glitter), Dimensionals

Isn't that cute? I was pretty happy with the way it turned out.

I started with the house-shaped card base (which I also used to make a few other cards a couple of years ago) and embossed it with a brick wall texture. I realized after the fact that I used the embossing folder backwards. The bricks, rather than the "mortar lines," should be raised. I must subconsciously like it that way as I seem to do that every time I use this folder. Oh, well.

I had to get a little creative with the window. I have a couple of different window dies, but they were both too big for this card base, so I had to make my own. I cut out the flower box using textured Soft Suede card stock and used that as a guide for the overall size of the window. I cut a rectangle of textured Soft Suede card stock and then used a ruler and craft knife to carefully cut out the inner panels for the windowpanes. (I did draw the outlines for the panes on the back of the card stock with a pencil.)

Once the whole window frame was cut out, I glued a piece of window sheet to the back to create the look of glass. Then I added the die-cut curtains and, finally, a piece of Soft Sky card stock for the background. I adhered the window box to the bottom of the window and added in the various die-cut flowers and stems. (I used micro pop-dots for some of the flowers to add depth.) Using Dimensionals I attached the whole window to the card base.

This definitely wasn't a quick card to create, but it was fun to watch the different elements come together. Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

What a cute house, and I like the way the mortar is raised rather than bricks! THe flowers in the flower box are pretty and colourful! Well done!
Sunshine, New Zealand
www.ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine!