Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Elephant card with Playful Pals

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: I love cute animal stamps. So I was really excited when I saw the Playful Pals stamp set and coordinating dies in the Stampin' Up! 2016 Occasions catalog. I haven't had a chance to make one of the cute animal-themed pyramid boxes yet, but I wanted to have a go at making a card shaped like an animal. Here is my first try at an elephant card:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Playful Pals
Paper: Bordering Blue, Whisper White card stock; Fresh Prints Designer Series Paper (DSP) Stack
Ink: Bordering Blue (pad and marker), Memento Tuxedo Black, white Signo gel pen
Accessories: Pyramid Pals Thinlits dies, Bow Builder punch, Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers), Dimensionals, Glue Dots

What do you think? I'm not quite sure the card base is the right shape. I started with a rectangular base (the long sides going up and down), but it didn't look right. So I gradually started trimming until I ended up with a 3" x 3" base. One benefit of this card size is that it fits perfectly in a note card envelope.

Otherwise I do like this card. I used Bordering Blue ink and card stock. It's a long-retired Stampin' Up! color, but it's always my go-to color for elephants. I popped up the eyes with Dimensionals and used a white gel pen to add a little highlight to each eye. The tabs on the trunk and ears are adhered directly to the card base, and I even added a cute detail to the back of the card -- the elephant's little tail. The Bow Builder punch and a piece of DSP made the perfect bow tie. (For a girl elephant, put the bow by one of the ears.)

I have an idea brewing for another animal card. Now I'll just have to see if it transfers to paper. Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh! He is sooo cute! Thanks for making me smile today:-)
Sunshine, New Zealand
www.ihearttostamp.blogspot.com