Monday, March 14, 2016

Paper piecing and polka dots

I needed birthday cards for two of my cousins today -- an eight-year old boy and a six-year-old girl. As it happens, both cards used paper piecing and featured polka dots.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Critters in the Park, Hello Sunshine (both Lawn Fawn)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Old Olive marker, journaling pen
Paper: Basic Black, Whisper White card stock; Going Places Designer Series Paper (DSP) Stack, DSP Patterns Stack, Into the Woods DSP, Wood Designer Cardstock Paper (My Mind's Eye)
Accessories: Party Punch Pack, linen thread, Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers), Mono Multi liquid glue, Dimensionals

I was having a hard time coming up with an idea for a good "boy" card, and then I remembered this Lawn Fawn stamp set. Dogs are always good, right?

I didn't want to color the images, so instead I stamped everything on different patterned papers, cut out the images and pieced them together on a layer of Whisper White card stock. (I really like the dog stamped on a marble-pattern paper). I also added a few punched balloons, with hand-drawn strings, to give the scene more of a birthday feel.

I finished off the focal panel with a simple linen thread knot and used Dimensionals to adhere the piece to a layer of woodgrain-looking paper. Then everything was adhered to a Basic Black card base (which I realize is hard to see against to black background. Oops).

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Honeycomb Happiness
Paper: Baked Brown Sugar, Calypso Coral card stock;All Abloom DSP Stack; Wildflower Fields DSP; leftover patterned paper from a past Paper Pumpkin kit
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black; Calypso Coral, Baked Brown Sugar, Daffodil Delight, Pistachio Pudding markers; Project Life journaling pen; clear Stardust Gelly Roll pen (Sakura)
Accessories: Rhinestones, Decorative Ribbon Border punch, Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers), Dimensionals

I started this card with the three ice cream cones, stamped on Baked Brown Sugar card stock and patterned papers and then paper pieced together. For the bottom of the card I used a piece of Wildflower Fields DSP and colored in the circles so the colors coordinated with the ice cream cones. I placed a punched strip of Calypso Coral card stock over the edge of the DSP, doodled a border around the top half of the card and used Dimensionals to attach the ice cream cones.

I wanted to have some sparkle on the card, so I placed a few rhinestones around the ice cream cones and one in the upper right corner. Then I used a Stardust Gelly Roll pen to add a little more glitz: I colored over some of the polka dots on the DSP, added accents on the ice cream, and traced over the doodled border.





Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: