Friday, April 11, 2014

Nature-inspired masculine cards

I like to use nature as an inspiration for masculine cards, and today I have trees, fish and a lighthouse scene to share with you.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Lovely As a Tree, On Your Birthday
Card stock: Chocolate Chip, Whisper White, Old Olive, Marina Mist
Ink: Chocolate Chip, Old Olive, Marina Mist
Accessories: Birch paper ribbon, Designer Naturals buttons, linen thread, sponges, Dimensionals

I stamped the tree image in Chocolate Chip on Whisper White card stock and then trimmed it down to create a smaller focal panel. I used sponges to apply Marina Mist ink on the sky part of the image and Old Olive on the grass and then layered it on Chocolate Chip card stock. For the background of the card I used a layer of birch paper ribbon from the Thankful Tablescape Simply Created kit.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: By the Tide
Card stock: Bordering Blue, Midnight Muse
Ink: Baked Brown Sugar, Midnight Muse
Accessories: Flower Soft - Ultra Fine Sand (Flower Soft), baker's twine - Cappuccino (Hemptique), Mono Multi liquid glue, Dimensionals

I bought a small container of sand-colored Flower Soft years ago to use as sand on beach- and sea-themed cards. And do you know what? I don't think I ever actually used it. But for some reason it popped into my head while I was trying to decide what to add to make this card a little more interesting. To adhere it, I simply applied Mono Multi liquid glue along the bottom of the card using the wide applicator, sprinkled the Flower Soft over the glue, pressed it down, shook off the extra and let it dry. I love the textured effect.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: World Map, Coast to Coast
Card stock: Bordering Blue, Naturals Ivory
Ink: Jet Black StazOn; Bordering Blue, Cherry Cobbler, Soft Sky, Always Artichoke, Crumb Cake, Sahara Sand markers
Accessories: Pewter jumbo eye let, Cherry Cobbler baker's twine, Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers), Dimensionals

I love the Coast to Coast stamp set, and I think the lighthouse images work well with the World Map background. I stamped and colored the lighthouse image and then added two simple embellishments: a jumbo eyelet and some baker's twine. (I like how both the lighthouse and the baker's twine have diagonal Cherry Cobbler stripes.) For some additional visual interest I rounded two opposite corners of the focal layer as well as the corresponding corners on the card base.




Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: