Thursday, April 3, 2014

Flowers all over

I'm back to share a couple of flower-filled birthday cards today. I used two of my long-retired-but-still-loved floral stamp sets to make my own backgrounds, a tried-and-true technique that I haven't used much lately.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Tropical Blossoms, Small Sayings
Card stock: Whisper White, Kiwi Kiss
Ink: Kiwi Kiss, Poppy Parade, Summer Sun, Only Orange
Accessories: Sweet Stitches Big Designer Buttons, Playground Designer Buttons, white baker's twine, Dotted Scallop Ribbon Border punch, corner rounder, Dimensionals

I love the tropical feeling of this card, and right about now I wish I were on a tropical island away from the snow. For embellishment I used a punched strip of Kiwi Kiss card stock and three buttons in different styles, colors and sizes, each tied with baker's twine. Simple, but cheerful.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Sending Happy Thoughts, Petite Pairs
Card stock: Positively Pink, Whisper White
Ink: Positively Pink, Pink Pirouette, Pear Piozzazz
Accessories: Label Card Thinlits dies, pearls, Lucky Limeade baker's twine, Dimensionals

I haven't used my Label Card Thinlits dies very much because I have a hard time figuring out how to embellish the panels. But I think this all-over floral design works well.

Again I used simple embellishments: pearls in the corners and in two of the flower centers and a baker's twine bow.

I also tried a little trick I'd read about to make the flip card longer and provide an interior panel for writing a message. When trimming your card stock, cut it slightly less than 5-1/2" tall; I think I went with 5-3/8". Then when you line up the die to cut out the card shape, place the end of the card stock over the die instead of under it. That end won't be cut, so you can fold it in to make an extra panel.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: