Saturday, April 5, 2014

Modern and vintage

As someone who loves all things floral, I sometimes have a hard time creating masculine cards. Usually I rely on nature-inspired cards -- and I have a few of those to share with you next week -- but it's nice to have a little variety. Last weekend I came up with two masculine card designs that I really like: one with a modern look and one that's more vintage.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Gorgeous Grunge, Bring on the Cake
Card stock: Whisper White, Island Indigo
Ink: Kiwi Kiss, Island Indigo, Basic Gray
Accessories: 2-1/2" circle punch, Regals Candy Dots, cork stickers (Little Yellow Bicycle), Dimensionals

To make the background I layered several images from the Gorgeous Grunge set in Kiwi Kiss, Island Indigo and Basic Gray ink on a Whisper White card base. When I make a card like this the trick for me is to not over think it -- just pick up a stamp and go. To help the focal point stand out against the busy-ness, I matted it with a circle of Island Indigo card stock. Two cork stickers and a couple of Candy Dots make perfect neutral embellishments.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Postage Collection
Paper: Very Vanilla, Bravo Burgundy card stock; Newsprint Designer Series Paper (DSP)
Ink: Tuxedo Black (Memento), Crumb Cake
Accessories: Postage Stamp punch, sponge, Stamp-a-a-jig, Dimensionals

I love the combination of the "postage stamp" images with this vintage-looking Newsprint DSP. The postage stamps are actually three separate images: the border, the car and the "No. 1." I used my Stamp-a-ma-jig tool to line them all up, and then I punched them out with the Postage Stamp punch. I matted the three images with offset Bravo Burgundy postage stamp shapes to help them stand out against the DSP.

To add to the vintage feel of this card, I tore the bottom edges of the card front and the layer of DSP. I also sponged all the light-colored pieces -- postage stamps, flag and DSP -- with Crumb Cake ink.

I didn't add any embellishments to this card, but I wonder if it needs something. What do you think: add an embellishment or leave it as is? 

Thanks for stopping by!





No comments: