Sunday, July 21, 2013

Convention roommate gifts

Whew! I'm back home from a fabulous, fun and exhausting time at Stampin' Up!'s 25th anniversary Convention in Salt Lake City. It was wonderful to spend time with friends, see stamping demonstrations, learn about new products and, of course, get free goodies! Now that Convention is over, I'm going to work on getting back to my regular blog posts, so I wanted to start by sharing the gifts I made for my three awesome roommates and another good friend I look forward to seeing at Convention.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! except "Other supplies"):
Ink: Whisper White craft ink
Paper: Polka Dot Parade Designer Series Paper (DSP); Whisper White, Gumball Green, Rich Razzleberry, Real Red, Daffodil Delight, Pumpkin Pie cardstock
Accessories: On Board chipboard (Blossoms and Basics, Trimmings and Loads of Letters), 7/8" scallop circle punch, 1-1/4" scallop circle punch, Crop-a-dile, Floral Frames Framelits dies, Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder, Simply Scored tool, stitched Gumball Green ribbon, white baker's twine, Rich Razzleberry taffeta ribbon, Pumpkin Pie taffeta ribbon, Real Red 1/8" taffeta ribbon, pewter jumbo eyelets, Brights Designer Buttons (retired), Winter White embossing powder, Sticky Strip, Mono Multi liquid glue, Dimensionals
Other supplies: 4" round cork mats, thumbtacks, magnetic discs, metal rings, thin cardboard

Each set included three coordinating items: a monogram tag for the recipient's Convention bag, a mini
corkboard and a magnetic bookmark. I don't have step-by-step instructions, so if you have specific questions, post a comment below and I will respond as soon as I can. I do, though, have a few tips and tricks:
  • For the corkboards, I used the largest Floral Frames Framelits die to cut a flower out of DSP and out of thin cardboard (I used a cereal box from the recycling bin). Use Mono Multi liquid glue to adhere the DSP to the cardboard so the plain side of the cardboard is showing on the back.
  • The buttons are attached to the thumbtacks with Dimensionals.
  • I posted instructions for making the magnetic bookmarks in a previous post (April 29, 2012). For these bookmarks I used magnetic discs instead of strips.
  • The letters on the tags are covered with two or three layers of Whisper White craft ink and then embossed with Winter White embossing powder.

To package the gifts I put the items in a cellophane bag and added a coordinating ribbon. (And I made sure to pack them in my checked baggage because I wasn't sure they were acceptable in a carry-on.) I think everyone liked their gifts, and I had fun making them. Can't wait to make roommate gifts for the next Convention! Thanks for stopping by!



No comments: