Monday, October 15, 2012

Shake it up, baby!

Recently one of my friends told me that her six-year-old daughter loves the cards I send to them, and she still has out the Christmas card I sent last year. It was a shaker card with glitter "snow," and my friend's daughter said it was like her own little snow globe. Aww. You've gotta' love the appreciation and admiration of children. So how could I not make her a shaker card for Halloween?

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!® unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Best Witches, Too Cute to Spook (both Unity Stamp Company)
Card stock: Whisper White, Lovely Lilac
Ink: Jet Black StazOn, Lovely Lilac, Almost Amethyst, Wild Wasabi, Crushed Curry, Blush Blossom, Pumpkin Pie
Accessories: Oval shaker card pouches (Impression Obsession), white mini shaker overlays (The Paper Cut), black and orange grosgrain ribbons, Halloween confetti (unknown), black rhinestones (Jolee's)

The shaker pouches I used were self-adhesive, and the overlays were pre-cut to 4" x 5-1/4" -- perfect for layering on an A2 card -- and they already had a hole cut to fit around the shaker. I filled the shakers with some Halloween confetti I had on hand. (Quick story: When I was in college I loved to send cards and letters, and I filled all of them with some type of confetti. More than once I heard about confetti being strewn all over a room when someone ripped open an envelope. And I always had to smile when I walked through the campus post office and saw little bits of confetti on the floor. Now I can send the confetti without the mess!) I noticed that the shaker pouches were a bit static-y, so I rubbed a used dryer sheet on the inside of the pouch and on the card stock to keep the confetti from clinging. I love this cute little witch, so I made two versions of this card with slightly different color combinations. I think I like the one on the left a little better because the orange really pops.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Too Cute to Spook (Unity Stamp Company), Spooky Bingo Bits
Card stock: Whisper White
Ink: Jet Black StazOn, Lucky Limeade, Only Orange, Lovely Lilac
Accessories: Oval shaker card pouches (Impression Obsession), white mini shaker overlays (The Paper Cut), Halloween confetti (unknown)

The witch cards seemed a little on the girly side, so I thought I'd better make a couple of boyish monster cards to keep it even. I love the little Frankenstein monster in the shaker surrounded by mummies, spiders and little green creatures. The greeting inside these cards -- "Have a monster of a time!" -- fits perfectly.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Too Cute to Spook (Unity Stamp Company), Spooky Bingo Bits
Card stock: Basic Black
Ink: Illuminate, Jet Black StazOn, Lucky Limeade
Accessories: Oval shaker card pouches (Impression Obsession), white mini shaker overlays (The Paper Cut), Halloween confetti (unknown), 1/8" Lucky Limeade organdy ribbon, black rhinestones (Jolee's)

Since I was on a roll with shaker cards, I decided to make a couple more and try out my new Illuminate ink pad. The Illuminate pad is really fun; it doesn't have a color, but instead makes a watermark-type of impression with a little bit of shine. (Think of it as a shimmery version of the VersaMark pad.) For these two shaker cards I focused on black and white and threw in a few punches of green. And I don't know if you noticed, but I coordinated the confetti and the stamps; both cards have ghost images and confetti, and then one has spiders while the other has black cats. It's the little things that make me happy.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: