Monday, November 14, 2011

Shaker cards

I don't make them very often, but I think shaker cards are so much fun to make and to receive, especially at Christmas. "Snowy" scenes with glitter or beads work perfectly as shaker cards. This weekend I made a couple of different shaker card designs.

I made one card of the design on the left (it didn't turn out quite the way I imagined, and I wasn't sure I liked it enough to make more) and six of the card on the right. For both cards I used silver glass glitter as the "snow," which worked well. It's a bit heavier than regular glitter, so it doesn't stick to the plastic quite as much. The white card stock layers were pre-cut to 4" x 5-1/4" -- perfect for layering on an A2 card -- and they already had a hole cut to fit perfectly over the shakers.

Here are individual pictures of the cards and supply information:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!® unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Snow Much Fun, Northern Hearts
Ink: Jet Black StazOn® pad, Crumb Cake pad, Cherry Cobbler marker, Baja Breeze marker, Pumpkin Pie marker, Basic Black marker
Card stock: Crumb Cake, Whisper White, white overlay (The Paper Cut)
Accessories: Shaker pouch (Impression Obsession), silver glass glitter, Baja Breeze seam binding ribbon, white baker's twine, mini jingle bells

I wanted a bright white color for the snowman, so I paper pieced him and the snowballs and used markers to color the rest of the image directly on the Crumb Cake card stock. I stamped snowflakes on the overlay and tied Baja Breeze seam binding ribbon around it. I strung the mini jingle bells on a piece of baker's twine and then tied the twine in a bow around the knot in the ribbon.


Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps:Cute Converse
Ink: Not Quite Navy
Card stock: Not Quite Navy, Garden Green, Wild Wasabi, Chocolate Chip, Whisper White, white overlay (The Paper Cut)
Accessories: Shaker pouch (Impression Obsession), silver glass glitter, white baker's twine, mini jingle bells, Heart to Heart punch, small oval punch, 1/16" hole punch, snowflake embossing folder (Sizzix), Dazzling Details

For each tree, I used three punched hearts layered together for the branches and added a thin strip of Chocolate Chip card stock for the trunk. I can't take credit for the idea of making trees with the heart shapes, but this is the first time I've tried it. (I think they look pretty cute!) It's hard to see in this picture, but I tore the edge off two pieces of white card stock and glued them at the base of the trees to look like snow. I also added a light touch of Dazzling Details glitter glue to the trees and snow to add a little sparkle.


I embossed the overlay with a snowflake embossing folder, wrapped it with baker's twine and added a tag, mini jingle bell and bow. I stamped the "merry little christmas" greeting on the tags for three of the cards; on the other tags, I stamped "jingle all the way." I think this is one of my favorite Christmas card designs so far this year!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: