Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Roly poly snowman

I love to make snowmen cards for Christmas. They always make me smile, and I have yet to see a snowman stamp that isn't cute. This little guy is no exception:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!®, unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Roly Poly Winter Joy (Unity Stamp Co.), Merry
Paper: Baja Breeze, Whisper White, Riding Hood Red, Country Living Holiday Collection Stampin' Kit
Ink: Jet Black StazOn® pad; markers: Baja Breeze, Riding Hood Red, Old Olive, Chocolate Chip, Pumpkin Pie
Accessories: Frost White shimmer paint, sponge daubers, 2-1/2" circle punch, Tasteful Trim die, basic rhinestones, Dimensionals

To make the background for this card, I used a sponge dauber to apply Frost White shimmer paint directly to the snowflake stamp and then stamped it on the card stock. (I re-applied the shimmer paint each time I stamped the image.) I haven't had my shimmer paint for very long, but I love stamping with it. It dries quickly, doesn't smear and creates a subtle, sparkly image -- perfect for backgrounds. It's a little hard to see in the picture, but I also used a sponge dauber to apply some shimmer paint to the focal image under the snowman.

I made six cards with this design during my crafting day last weekend. That's probably about my max for a card like this because all the coloring and re-applying the shimmer paint on the stamp was a little time-consuming. One time-saver, however, was my Tasteful Trim die. I used Riding Hood Red card stock with the die to cut several different trim styles -- rick-rack, single scallop and double scallop -- at one time. Then I used the different trims on the other cards I made with this design.

Even though I'm really not ready for snow, this happy, roly poly snowman makes the thought a bit more bearable.

No comments: