Friday, October 19, 2012

Wonderful Winterland

I am not a winter person. The snow, the well-below-zero windchill temperatures, the icy sidewalks. Ugh. It all will be here very soon and will last for much too long. But despite my dislike of actual winter, I do love winter-themed stamp sets, whether delicate snowflakes, peaceful winter scenes or children frolicking in drifts of snow. So when I saw the set Wonderful Winterland in the Stampin' Up!® holiday catalog, I knew I wanted to get it. I actually ordered it a couple of months ago before I moved, and I finally had my first chance to use it yesterday.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Wonderful Winterland
Card stock: Whisper White, Bashful Blue, silver glimmer paper
Ink: Jet Black StazOn, Bashful Blue, Pink Pirouette, Certainly Celery, Blush Blossom, Close to Cocoa
Accessories: Blender pen, Window Frames Collection Framelits dies, Delicate Designs embossing folders, Color Spritzer tool, Simply Scored tool and Diagonal Plate, 1/16" hole punch, silver cord, Dimensionals

Although all the images in this stamp set are adorable, I think this one is the reason I bought the set. It's just too cute. And with the right color combination and greeting, this image could even work for a Valentine's Day card.

I started this card by stamping the image, coloring it with a blender pen and cutting it with one of the Window Frames Collection Framelits dies. I layered a 2-3/8" square piece of silver glimmer paper behind the die-cut image. (Note: I didn't want to "waste" the glimmer paper that was hidden behind the image, so I used a square punch to remove some of the paper for a later project.) I embossed a strip of white card stock, layered strips of silver glimmer paper behind the top and bottom and then adhered the strip to a Bashful Blue card base. (It's difficult to see in this photo, but I spritzed the card base with the Bashful Blue marker before adhering the pieces.) Using Dimensionals, I attached the die-cut image over the strip. I needed a little something in the upper right corner, so I folded the corner down, punched a 1/16" hole and tied a bow with a piece of silver cord. I really like the way this card turned out, but I realized after I was finished that I had meant to pierce holes around the edge of the die-cut focal image, which would have been a nice extra detail.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Wonderful Winterland
Card stock: Whisper White
Ink: Jet Black StazOn, Pink Pirouette, Certainly Celery, Baja Breeze, Closet to Cocoa, Blush Blossom
Accessories: Blender pen, Labels Collection Framelits dies, Houndstooth embossing folder, Stampin' Pierce mat, paper piercer, Festive Paper-Piercing Pack, striped Pink Pirouette ribbon, Dimensionals

For this card I started with a Whisper White card base and embossed a 4" x 5-1/4" piece of white card stock with a houndstooth texture. I stamped, colored and die cut the focal image with a Labels Collection Framelit die and then pierced a row of holes around the edge. I wrapped a piece of Pink Pirouette ribbon around the bottom portion of the embossed card stock and used Dimensionals to adhere the focal image over the ribbon. I pierced holes around the outside of the focal image and then attached the whole piece to the card base with Dimensionals.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Wonderful Winterland, Many Merry Messages
Card stock: Night of Navy, Crumb Cake, Whisper White
Ink: Jet Black StazOn, Night of Navy, Real Red, Crumb Cake, Blush Blossom, Illluminate
Accessories: 2-3/8" scallop circle punch, 2-1/2" circle punch, 1/16" hole punch, corner rounder, Finishing Touches Edgelits dies, blender pen, red gingham ribbon, Dimensionals

I thought I should probably try out one of the other images in this stamp set, so I chose this adorable little snow angel, which I colored and punched out with a scallop circle punch. I used the Illuminate ink pad to stamp the snowflakes on the top part of the card and the greeting along the bottom edge. I added a strip of die-cut Crumb Cake card stock to break up the card front and then tied a piece of red gingham ribbon over the strip. I layered the focal image on a Crumb Cake circle and used Dimensionals to adhere it over the ribbon.

These cards almost make me excited about the impending winter. Almost. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: