Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A regal fall

I haven't been as quick as I'd hoped in getting back to a regular stamping and blogging schedule. But I'm trying, so thanks for hanging in there with me. Now back to our regularly scheduled post ...

Of the four color collections from Stampin' Up!®, the one I use the least is easily the Regals collection. It's not that I don't like the colors; I'm just more likely to reach for Brights (first) or Subtles (second). The Regals collection has a very autumnal feel to me, so I decided to focus on using just those colors (with a few neutrals) to make some fall cards.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Trendy Trees
Card stock: Very Vanilla, Always Artichoke, Soft Suede
Ink: Always Artichoke, Soft Suede, Cajun Craze, More Mustard, Riding Hood Red
Accessories: Always Artichoke brads, linen thread, Woodgrain embossing folder, Dimensionals

I love the fun trees in this set, and they're perfect for any season because the leaves are stamped separately from the trunk. For this card I kept the focal point clean and simple with three trees and a greeting. I added just a couple of embellishments and the woodgrain texture on the background to finish the design.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Branch Out
Card stock: Sahara Sand, Early Espresso, Cajun Craze, textured More Mustard
Ink: Early Espresso, Cajun Craze, More Mustard, Cherry Cobbler
Accessories: Apothecary Accents Framelits dies, Regals brads, Stampin' Sponge

For the focal point I stamped the tree trunk and then layered the leaves by stamping them first in More Mustard then Cajun Craze and finally Cherry Cobbler. I die cut the tree, sponged the edges with Early Espresso and then attached it to the card front with two brads. I added three more brads to create some interest on the right side of the card and then sponged the Cajun Craze card stock with Cajun Craze ink.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Falling Leaves
Card stock: Elegant Eggplant, More Mustard, Garden Green
Ink: Elegant Eggplant, More Mustard, Garden Green
Accessories: Hemp twine, Regals brads, Dimensionals

I found this color combination in my Color Coach, and I like it. They're not the usual fall colors, but they work. Although it does seriously remind me of a Minnesota Vikings and Green Bay Packers mash-up. And I'm not even a big football fan ...

At any rate, this was an easy card to make and uses very limited supplies -- you could even use a VersaMark pad instead of the individual colors -- so it's a great card for a new stamper. To make the focal point, I stamped and tore the right edge of the three strips. I adhered a scratch piece of card stock along the back of the three colored pieces to keep them together. Then I wrapped twine around the pieces, gently curled up the right side around a pencil and adhered them to the card with Dimensionals.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Tweet Leaves
Card stock: Not Quite Navy, More Mustard, Very Vanilla
Ink: Chocolate Chip, Not Quite Navy, More Mustard, Always Artichoke, Riding Hood Red markers
Accessories: Woodgrain embossing folder, Autumn Accents die, Mustard grosgrain ribbon, Chocolate grosgrain ribbon, Dimensionals

I will readily admit that it is a little time-consuming to color the different images on this stamp with markers. I don't know how many of them I could make at one time. But it does look so pretty when it's done. I didn't want to "hide" it behind a lot of distracting embellishments, so I kept the rest of the card very simple with just a little ribbon and embossed texture; I love the combination of the woodgrain texture with the leaf images and die-cuts.

I hope these "regal" fall cards have given you a bit of inspiration. Thanks for stopping by!



1 comment:

Tina said...

Andrea, Hello! your cards are always really amazing! miss you.