Thursday, July 4, 2019

Kitten card set + recycled card pouch

As I promised in my last post, I'm back to share a fun little note card set featuring the kittens in the Oh My Whiskers stamp set from Honey Bee Stamps.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Oh My Whiskers (Honey Bee Stamps)
Paper: Basic Black, Whisper White card stock; Neutrals Designer Series Paper (DSP) Stack
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black; Blends/Blendabilities markers - Soft Suede, Daffodil Delight, Smoky Slate; W1, W3, R81 markers (Copic Sketch)
Accessories:Large and Small Stitched Rectangle Stackables dies (Lawn Fawn), black enamel dots (Eyelet Outlet)

I needed to make a quick set of note cards for a cat-loving friend, and I knew the Oh My Whiskers stamp set would be perfect. But I didn't have a lot of time to color all of the images. Instead I used a black-and-white color scheme and added pops of color by just coloring the kittens.

I used a stitched rectangle die to cut panels of white card stock and stamped the images using Memento Tuxedo Black ink. With alcohol markers I colored the cats and added a shadow below each image. I also stamped a few butterflies on each panel to fill up some of the white space and add a little more to the scenes.

For the card bases I used black card stock folded so that the crease is at the top of the card. (I make almost all of my cards with this orientation. I don't know why, but I prefer it over a side-folding card.) I adhered a piece of black-and-white striped DSP along the left side of the card front and then added the focal panel, centered on the card. For a simple embellishment I added one black enamel dot to each card.

I used three different images for my cards, and I made two cards of each design for a total of six cards. For the inside of the cards I cut a larger stitched rectangle from white card stock and stamped a single kitten. (The card in the top right of this photo shows the inside of one of the cards.)

With the cards done, I needed some sort of packaging for them. When I received my order from Honey Bee Stamps, it arrived in the cutest brown paper bag (protected inside a padded envelope, of course). Rather than just recycling the bag, I decided to repurpose it into a little holder for the cards.

This is the front of (part of) the bag. It was printed with these adorable images, and I thought that sentiment was perfect! I trimmed off the top of the bag and then used a scissors with a mini pinking blade to add the decorative edge. There was some printing below the sentiment, so I covered it with a strip of washi tape (also from Honey Bee Stamps) that had a black-and-white floral pattern. I used my alcohol markers to add color to some of the flowers.

I honestly can't remember how I made the rest of the pouch. I do remember it didn't work exactly as I imagined, and I had to do some improvising. When all was said and done, the back of the pouch was shorter than the front, so you get a peek at the cards inside. It wasn't what I was intending, but I think it works. I added another strip of the washi tape along the back of the pouch.

To finish it off I wrapped a narrow yellow ribbon around the whole pouch and tied it off in a bow on the front.

Today is Independence Day in the U.S., so if you are celebrating, have a safe and happy holiday. But regardless of what day it is wherever you are, I wish you a wonderful day filled with awesome things!

Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

Sunshine said...

I've always been a fan of black and white cards, and these kitties are just super cute! The little pouch is also very cute, and well done for making the images on it part of the gift!
A very cute gift, for sure! Happy Independance Day!
Sunshine
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

A awesome gift and cute packaging! And I learned another new idea - just color part of an image. As you'd mentioned, a time saver and it looks great.
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine!

Andrea said...

Thank you, Judy!