Saturday, July 13, 2019

Underwater adventures

It's a hot and muggy weekend in these parts, and a beach vacation sounds mighty appealing. Sadly, there are no such excursions in my immediate future. But even if I can't swim in the ocean, I can still make fun underwater cards!

Supplies:
Stamps: Mermaid's Tail (Essentials by Ellen)
Paper: Alcohol ink paper (YUPO); Pool Party, Crumb Cake card stock (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Crumb Cake (Stampin' Up!); alcohol inks - Sunbright Yellow, Sapphire Blue, Senorita Magenta, Lime Green, Rich Gold (Jacquard)
Accessories: Mermaid's Tail dies (Essentials by Ellen), Build-a-Scene - Underwater dies (Taylored Expressions), Mermaid Mix sequins (Pretty Pink Posh), Seaside embossing folder (Stampin' Up!), gold Wink of Stella glitter brush pen (Kuretake), foam tape (3M), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute Glitter), Dimensionals (Stampin' Up!)

I have to admit that this is my current favorite card. I love the colors, texture, and how everything came together. It just makes me happy!

To set the scene, I embossed a Pool Party card base with a wave-inspired embossing folder. I stamped the sentiment on a piece of Crumb Cake card stock and then tore off the top edge to create the look of a sandy ocean floor. Before adhering the card stock to the bottom of the card front, I splattered it with my gold Wink of Stella glitter pen to add a little more visual interest.


To make the mermaid tails and seaweed, I used alcohol inks on YUPO paper. Once I was happy with the colors, I let the paper dry (but not quite long enough because I'm impatient) and then die cut the different pieces. I attached the mermaid tails to the card base with foam tape and used liquid glue to adhere the seaweed, tucking the bottoms of the pieces behind the "sand." A few sequins (from the Mermaid Mix!) finish off this card.

Supplies:
Paper: Coastal Cabana, Granny Apple Green, Crumb Cake card stock; Tim Holtz YUPO paper (Ranger)
Ink: Tim Holtz alcohol inks - Oregano, Meadow, Stream, Terracotta (Ranger)
Accessories: Paper Layering Seahorses dies (Hero Arts), Build-a-Scene - Underwater dies (Taylored Expressions), Tide embossing folder (Lifestyle Crafts), Pearl Mixative and Blending Solution (Ranger), Dimensionals (Stampin' Up!)

Overall this card is fairly similar to the previous one. For the card base I used a different color card base and a different embossing folder. For the "sand," I spritzed a piece of Crumb Cake card stock with water, crumpled it up, and then flattened it. Once it was dry, I adhered it to the bottom of the card. I die cut the seaweed from Granny Apple Green card stock and added them to the card.

For the focal images, I again used alcohol inks on YUPO paper, let it dry, and then die cut the focal images. I used Dimensionals to attach the large seahorse to the center of the card and glued the two babies directly to the card base. For the one near the bottom of the card, I wrapped his tail around one of the pieces of seaweed.

Supplies:
Stamps: March 2019 My Monthly Hero Kit (Hero Arts)
Paper: Thick Whisper White card stock
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Oxide inks - Fossilized Amber, Wild Honey, Spiced marmelade (Ranger); Basic Black journaling marker (Stampin' Up!)
Accessories: Tide embossing folder (Lifestyle Crafts), ribbon (unknown), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute Glitter), Dimensionals (Stampin' Up!), foam tape (3M)

This card is actually one I made a few months ago. I hadn't ever posted it, but it fits with the underwater theme, so here it is!

Instead of using alcohol inks with this card, I used a few Distress Oxide inks and the reactive inks that came with the March 2019 Hero Arts kit. I blended ink on a piece of white card stock to make the "water" and then stamped the seaweed on the bottom portion and the school of fish near the top. I flicked a bit of water on the panel to create a bubbly look.

I stamped the three fish on a separate piece of white card stock (and used a black marker to add the eyes), die cut them and attached them to the stamped panel with Dimensionals.

For the card base I embossed a piece of white card stock, wrapped a piece of turquoise ribbon around the card stock, and attached it to a white card base. Then I used foam tape to attach the focal panel to the card base. A few droplets, also from the Hero Arts kit, complete the card.

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

Oh wow! I am spoilt for choice this morning! Mermaids, Seahorses, and fishes! They are all so pretty and colourful! I think I like the Mermaid card best, but it's not an easy choice. They are all so gorjuss! I love the colours on the mermaid tails, so vibrant and pretty! You have done an awesome job Andrea! Love them all:-)
Sunshine
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

Thank you, Sunshine!