Monday, September 3, 2018

You're s'whale!

A few weeks ago I shared a manatee birthday card where I used alcohol inks and YUPO paper to make the background for the card. In that post I mentioned that I had more alcohol ink backgrounds to share, and I'm finally getting around to doing just that. And here's the first one:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: S'whale (Essentials by Ellen)
Paper: Thick Whisper White, Pool Party card stock; transparent alcohol ink paper (YUPO)
Ink: Basic Gray, Pool Party; alcohol inks (Ranger)
Accessories: S'whale and Strands dies (Essentials by Ellen), sea life wood shapes (Darice), Dimensionals, Mono Multi liquid glue
Other: Rubbing alcohol in mister bottle, hand sanitizer, gel plate (Gel Press)

Ack! I love this card so much I almost can't stand it!

Quick confession before I give you more details: I actually created the backgrounds a few months ago at a workshop during the Stamp and Scrapbook Expo. We tried different techniques and used different colors of alcohol inks, so I don't remember all the specifics. But the best part of using alcohol inks is experimenting!

Back to this s'whale card. I decided that this background had a decidedly ocean-y feel, so I pulled out my Strands die to cut it into waves. I ran it through my Big Shot, but the pieces weren't all cut out. I was going to try running it through again, but I decided I really liked the way it looked like this, so I went ahead and adhered it to a white card base. I added a stamped and die-cut whale to the middle of the ocean and a wooden sea star in the lower right corner. I stamped the sentiment just below the ocean and it was perfect!

Stay tuned for more alcohol ink creations. Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Sunshine. said...

Wow! I love the background in this card! That "Strands" die is awesome! It looks like a whole lot of fun! I love thee colours on this card, everything just blends in with each other so well:-) I can't wait to see more of your alcohol ink backgrounds!
Thanks:-)
Sunshine.
www.ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! The alcohol inks are really fun. I’ve definitely had a few pieces that wound up in the trash, but it’s so exciting when I get a piece that I love, like this one. 💕