Monday, September 17, 2018

A bright card for a rainy day

We had a pretty heavy downpour this afternoon, and there is rain in the forecast for the next several days, so I think that calls for a bright, sparkly card.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Paper: Whisper White, Berry Burst, Pumpkin Pie card stock; gold Mirri sparkle paper (The Paper Cut); alcohol ink card stock (YUPO)
Ink: White gel pen; alcohol inks: Wild Plum, Sunshine Yellow, Lettuce (Ranger)
Accessories: Balloon Bouquet punch, Curly Q cutting plate (Taylored Expressions), Scribble Happy Birthday dies (Poppy Stamps), DImensionals, Mono Multi liquid glue, Tim Holtz alcohol ink applicator (Ranger)

Birthday Season has started in our family, so you'll probably be seeing a lot of birthday cards in the coming weeks. And -- surprise! -- this one is another alcohol ink background. I promise that I do have cards to share that don't use alcohol inks, but I had so much fun trying different techniques and color combos that I ended up with quite a few backgrounds.

For this background I used three colors of ink: Wild Plum, Sunshine Yellow and Lettuce. The Wild Plum was definitely the strongest color and kind of took over. The Sunshine Yellow mixed in and turned orange, and the Lettuce almost disappeared, but you can still see hints of it around the letters.

I wanted to use the festive Curly Q cutting plate, so I cut it out of gold Mirri sparkle paper -- it's like glitter paper, but smoother, and it doesn't shed glitter. You can't see the sparkle very well in this picture, but it's so pretty. I adhered that die-cut piece to the background and then attached the panel to a white card base.

I punched three balloons out of Berry Burst and Pumpkin Pie card stock and used Dimensionals to adhere them over the tops of the streamers. The card still needed something, so I die cut "happy birthday" from white card stock and glued it near the bottom of the panel. I think if I could remake this card, I would change that detail because the script-style font looks too similar to the streamers. I think it would look better in a bold font or even stamped on strip of card stock. But all-in-all it's a fun, bright birthday card.

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Sunshine. said...

Love it! Totally love it!! That Curly Q cutting plate is awesome! This is my all time favourite background, I love the colours:-) The gold card is so pretty! I like the words and I think they look perfect on the card! It certainly is a bright card for a rainy day - we also have a rainy day here today! It's miserable outside and I am so glad to be inside and keeping DRY today! Awesome card Andrea:-)
Sunshine.
www.ihearttostamp.blogspot.com