Wednesday, June 27, 2018

June's Christmas card

When I sat down to make this month's Christmas card, my goal was very clean and simple. I wanted to use up some patterned paper and add an easy focal point. Ultimately, that's what I ended up with, but it was a little more time-consuming than I intended.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Holly Jolly Greetings
Paper: Thick Whisper White, Whisper White card stock; snowman paper (unknown); black and white snowflakes (Paper Source); red foil
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black
Accessories: Christmas Greeting Thinlits dies, Chalk Talk Framelits dies, foil snowflakes, metallic foil doilies, silver glitter washi tape, silver sequins (unknown), Mono Multi liquid glue, Dimensionals, Glue Dots

I've had this snowman paper forever, or at least fifteen years. The snowflake paper I bought at Paper Source a couple of years ago and used to make cute tag sets for holiday gifts last Christmas. I accented the papers with touches of silver: washi tape, sequins and doilies/snowflakes. (I actually started with the silver snowflakes, like the card on the left, but I discovered part way through the batch that I didn't have enough. Luckily I still had a few of the large silver doilies, and I think they're a good substitute.)

The time-consuming part of this card design was die cutting all the red foil "jolly"s. They're just so skinny that it was tricky to get them out of the die, clear out all of the little pieces inside the letters, and then glue them on the tag. But in the end, everything worked out, and I have seven more Christmas cards finished!

Before I go, I quickly have to revisit May's Christmas card. When I posted it last month, I hadn't added much embellishment. I asked for opinions about whether I should leave it as is or add some sequins, and my stamping friend Sunshine emphatically wanted me to add sequins. So I pulled out this bunch of cards and glued a few gold sequins to each one. I like the card design either way, but I do think the sequins add a fun detail. Thanks, Sunshine!

I'm still struggling with finding crafty time lately. I did manage to make a couple of things today, and I'm hoping to be really productive during the few days I have off next week. Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

Oh YAY! SEQUINS!! My favourite embellishment!! I love the cards with the snowmen on them, so cute and very Christmassy!
And the Thinking Of You one is also great! And you put sequins on it!! I like the words, "Thinking of You" and how you turned it into a Christmas greeting! I must try mixing and matching some of my greeting stamps.
Have an awesome day!
Sunshine
www.ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! The set I used for the “Thinking of you” cards actually came with the “add-on” sentiments for different occasions. But you could totally get the same effect by combining greetings from different sets. I’m going to have to look at my sets with that idea in mind!