Wednesday, June 27, 2018

It's a garden!

I mentioned in a post earlier this month that I wasn't sure if we would be planting a garden this year. Well, last Saturday my sister and I finally buckled down and got to work.

We weeded, tilled and pulled out the rusty, falling-down, chicken-wire fence that we put up a few years ago. Yes, the rabbits now can get in the garden more easily, but it's worth it to not have to climb over the fence all the time.

We planted two tomatoes (in the red cages on the left), zucchini (in the back right, near the center of the photo), two cucumbers (at the red trellis on the right side) and a yellow squash (front left corner). My sister also planted sage and rosemary in the two pots, and I put a row of mammoth sunflower seeds at the back of the garden along the chain-link fence.

This is the front of the garden, which we didn't do much with other than to pull out some of the Creeping Charlie vines (not an easy feat when they're all mixed up with the strawberry vines). At the top middle are raspberry bushes, then below them are the strawberries -- we've had quite a few berries from both so far. Then there's the crazy rhubarb; my sister picked some the other day and made some delicious spiced rhubarb muffins.

So that's the quick garden update. We also planted some flowers in the window boxes and in a couple of large pots in the front yard. I'll try to post photos every few weeks or so once things start growing. Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

Your garden looks promising, and will be delicious when things come to fruition! Are the bunnies wild ones, or tame ones?! Many years ago when this area was all farm land ,we had wild rabbits here, but as the area got built up they have all gone. I can't wait to see how your garden develops! I found some tomato plants growing in a pot, but it is way too cold for them to actually fruit, and I have no idea where the [plants come from because I didn't plant them! I also have Daffodils flowering already! It's Winter, not Spring!
Have a great day:-)
Sunshine
www.ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

They’re wild rabbits. Although we live in the city, there are lots of trees, yards and parks around, and we’re not far from a river, so they find plenty to munch on. I don’t mind too much because they’re so darn cute. Hmm ... mysterious tomatoes. Maybe some little critter found some seeds and planted them for you. 😁