Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Unicorns and superheroes

Last week I didn't have much crafting time, so consequently I didn't have much to post on my blog. I did make a couple of cards, but they're for a card contest at an upcoming stamp show, so I don't want to share them just yet. (Wish me luck. I'm hoping to win a prize and get a little money to spend at the show!) I do have a couple of cards I made way back in February that I never posted, so I'll share those today. Better late than never! They're two designs that would be great for the young ones in your life -- or those who are young at heart!

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Little Dreamer - Cardmaking (Close to My Heart)
Paper: Soft Sky, Whisper White card stock
Ink: Soft Sky, Berry Burst, Sweet Sugarplum
Accessories: Wonky Stitched Circles dies (My Favorite Things), clear Wink of Stella glitter brush pen, glitter washi tape, sequins (Paper Pumpkin leftovers), Dimensionals

This card uses no-frills basic stamping -- just stamps, ink, paper and a couple of embellishments. Honestly, I think this is still my favorite way to make cards. I've actually posted a couple of similar cards using this set and almost the same colors -- I just think Soft Sky is the perfect light blue for this unicorn.


I stamped the focal image on white card stock and die cut it with a stitched circle die. (OK, I did throw a die in there, so I guess it's not a completely basic card!) For the subtle background, I randomly stamped the two star images from the set with the same color ink as the card stock. The little banner was hand-cut.

I added a little sparkle with Wink of Stella, which you can't really see in this picture, and a strip of glitter washi tape. You can't have a unicorn card without sparkle! Or sequins, which I also sprinkled on the focal layer. I think if you changed or omitted the sentiment on the banner, this would also be an adorable baby card.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Calling All Heroes
Paper: Real Red, Whisper White card stock
Ink: Real Red, Island Indigo, Crushed Curry, Memento Tuxedo Black, dark Daffodil Delight Blendabilities marker
Accessories: Wood stars (Paper Pumpkin leftovers), clear Wink of Stella glitter brush pen, Dimensionals

Since the first card is a little girly, I also wanted to make a more boyish card. So I pulled out my Calling All Heroes stamp set and found that I already had several pieces stamped and cut out. Sweet! Here's a quick tip: Sometimes I stamp and cut out pieces to make a card and then end up not using them. I just tuck them in the envelope or case with the stamp set, and they're all ready to go next time I use that set.

Using a bold red, yellow, blue, and black color scheme, I layered a few of the images onto the dotted backgrounds and then arranged them on a Real Red card base. I also stamped the card base with clusters of stars, which I filled in with clear Wink of Stella to help them stand out. A few wooden stars add a little texture and stick with the theme.



I wanted the inside of this card to be fun, too, so I added a panel of white card stock and created my own customized sentiment. I used the alphabet included with the set to stamp out "Have a super birthday." To emphasize the pun, I stamped "super" on a separate piece of white card stock inside the comic-style word bubble. Then I cut it out and attached it inside the card with Dimensionals.

 
I really need to get some more card-making done this week, so I'm hoping to have more to share this weekend and next week. Until then, I hope you have a super, magical, unicorn-filled day! Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

Sunshine said...

I knew Unicorns were real! The colours on the Unicorn card are just right:-) And yes, it would make a great baby card! He's so cute!
I like both these cards, but the Unicorn would have to be my favourite:-)
Well done on both cards!
Sunshine
www.ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Fun cards - can't help but like the sparkly unicorn the best. But...love the hint you had with the comic card. I keep extra cutouts etc, but I just toss them all in a basket. Keeping them with the stamp or die set makes so much sense. I might actually manage to use them! Ha!
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks, Judy! I have a lot of die-cut or punched pieces that don’t necessarily go with a stamp set, and those I do toss in a container. But I have a harder time using those because I don’t remember what’s in the container. 😉

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! The unicorn is my favorite, too. 🙂