Friday, January 16, 2015

Girls just wanna have fun

After my last post (Let's hear it for the boy), I was stuck in an '80s music frame of mind. So a shout out to Cyndi Lauper seemed like a great way to introduce a few birthday cards for the girls, who after all, just wanna have fun.

Birthday card with light blue card base, three vertical strips of travel-themed washi tape and a stamped bicycle as the focal image.
Supplies (all Stampin Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Basket Full of Wishes (Unity Stamp Co.), Gorgeous Grunge
Paper: Soft Sky, Whisper White card stock
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Smoky Slate, Basic Gray, Gumball Green, Real Red, Soft Sky, Pink Pirouette, So Saffron
Accessories: Corner rounder, Pool Party baker's twine, Subtles Candy Dots, Travel Postmark Trendy Tape (Queen & Co.), Glue Dots, Dimensionals

I chose the colors for my focal image from the washi tape, which has a travel theme and seemed appropriate for the bicycle image. To embellish the image, I added a Candy Dot to the center of each wheel and adhered a baker's twine bow in the top right corner.

It's hard to see in the photo, but I used one of the images from Gorgeous Grunge to add a few splatters across the card front.

Birthday card with a red card base embossed with polka dots. The focal image, a tower of cupcakes, is stamped on a tag with the greeting "happy birthday to you."
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Cray for Cupcakes
Paper: Cherry Cobbler, Very Vanilla card stock
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Cherry Cobbler, So Saffron, Close to Cocoa
Accessories: Scalloped Tag Topper punch, Cherry Cobbler seam binding ribbon, Victoria crochet trim, Large Polka Dot embossing folder, rhinestones, Dimensionals

I had cupcakes from a local cupcake bakery for my last birthday, and they were delicious. Mine was chocolate-covered cherry. Yum. (If I could have a cupcake like that every day I'd be happy.) The next best thing to birthday cupcakes is a birthday card with cupcakes.

I love that this image is the perfect width for the Scalloped Tag Topper punch. To make the tassel for the tag I put two small pieces of Cherry Cobbler seam binding ribbon through the hole and then tied them together with a piece of crochet trim.

Clean and simple birthday card with a focal image that has "happy" stamped repeatedly and "birthday" on a separate banner.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Strokes of Wisdom (Raisin Boat), Kinda Eclectic, Four You
Paper: Blushing Bride, Calypso Coral, Very Vanilla card stock
Ink: Blushing Bride, Calypso Coral
Accessories: Corner rounder, rhinestones, Dimensionals

I worked a little backwards with this card. I knew that I wanted to use the sentiment "You can never have too much happy" inside the card, so I created the focal image on the front by repeatedly stamping the word "happy" on a piece of Very Vanilla card stock. I stamped "Birthday" on a separate strip of card stock and notched the ends into V shapes like a banner. To give the banner some Dimension, I used my bone folder to help curl the paper a bit (like you would use a scissors to curl ribbon) and then adhered two Dimensionals behind the middle of the banner to help it retain its shape.

Simple birthday card with a focal image of three yellow and gray teacups.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Tea Shoppe, Create a Cupcake, Gorgeous Grunge
Paper: Very Vanilla, Smoky Slate, Hello Honey card stock
Ink: Smoky Slate, Hello Honey
Accessories: Corner rounder, Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack, pearls, Mono Multi liquid glue, Dimensionals

I stamped the focal image in Hello Honey and then again in Smoky Slate. I cut the middle coffee cup out of the Smoky Slate image and adhered it over the Hello Honey image. The only simple embellishment on this card is a small punched flower with a pearl in the middle.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: