Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Buttons, buttons

I've always liked the look of buttons on cards. With so many different shapes, styles and colors, they're an easy, relatively inexpensive and fun embellishment. But I've often shied away from using them because the bulkiness can make it difficult to mail a card. Well, apparently I decided to throw caution to the wind because lately I've found myself adding buttons to cards more and more often. So, with buttons on the brain, what set would be more appropriate for card making than Button Buddies?

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!®):
Stamps: Button Buddies
Paper: Naturals Ivory, Soft Suede card stock; Natural Composition Specialty, Polka Dot Parade Designer Series Paper (DSP)
Ink: Old Olive, Soft Suede markers
Accessories: 2-3/8" scallop circle punch, 2-1/2" circle punch, Brights buttons, white baker's twine, Sticky Strip, Dimensionals

First of all, I love that this stamp set is designed so you can use it with or without buttons; the images are complete in and of themselves. And this cherry image is definitely one of my favorites in the set.

On this card I used four 1-5/8" x 2-1/4" pieces of patterned paper for the background: two from the Natural Composition Speciatly DSP (natural kraft color with raised glossy designs) and two from the Polka Dot Parade DSP (Real Red and Old Olive). I centered the pieces on the card front and then adhered the focal image over the middle. I also used my Soft Suede marker to doodle a border around the edge of the card.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Button Buddies, Sweet Essentials Card stock: Whisper White, Old Olive Ink: Real Red, Old Olive markers Accessories: Bitty Butterfly punch, Scallop Edge Border punch, 2-1/2" circle punch, Brights buttons, white baker's twine, rhinestones, 1/8" Old Olive taffeta ribbon, Sticky Strip, Dimensionals, Glue Dots

On this card I love the different layers of Old Olive -- the base, the scalloped strip, the ribbon, the butterflies and even the stamped sentiment -- with just touches of Real Red and Pumpkin Pie in the vase and the flower buttons. And I added a little extra bling with three rhinestones on each butterfly and one in the upper left corner.

I've accumulated (read: hoarded) a lot of buttons over the years, so maybe now I'll start putting more of them to good use! I'll just need to invest in a few padded envelopes.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: