Sunday, March 17, 2013

Happy St. Paddy's Day!

Growing up I often wished I were Irish, and sometimes people even assume I am (I think because of the auburn hair). Alas, I am neither Irish nor a big drinker, so St. Patrick's Day is a very low-key holiday for me. Today my nods to the Irish culture included listening to Celtic music, drinking Irish breakfast tea and eating some wonderfully delicious Irish soda bread (which sadly is only available during March at our local Breadsmith bakery). And of course wearing the requisite green shirt.

Since I'm not a St. Patrick's Day card-maker, I don't have anything particularly festive to share. But I do have a floral card that includes some green. It's a stretch, I know, but it's a fun card that I think you'll enjoy.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!®):
Stamps: Madison Avenue, Pursuit of Happiness
Card stock: Gumball Green, Whisper White
Ink: Gumball Green, Tangerine Tango, Rich Razzleberry
Accessories: 1-1/4" circle punch, Sycamore Street ribbon and button pack, white baker's twine, Gumball Green stitched satin ribbon, rhinestones, Glue Dots

Isn't it bright and cheerful? I'm wishing I could live a bit more in the sunshine myself, especially with yet another snowstorm predicted for tonight.

I think this card is mostly self-explanatory, so I won't go into too much detail. I do want to explain, though, how I rounded the corners of the layer of Whisper White card stock: instead of using a traditional corner-rounding punch,  I used a 1-1/4" circle punch. Holding the circle punch upside-down, insert the corner of the paper into the circular hole in the bottom and slide the point between the layers of metal. Then close the punch and just the corner is cut off. When I was done with the punch I used my scissors to smooth out the places where the now-rounded corners meet the straight edges. You can use different size circle punches, too; a larger circle will cut off more of the corner. It's easier to explain with pictures, but I neglected to take any photos of this step. If you're confused, post a comment below and I will try to clarify and/or create a separate post that shows how to round corners with a circle punch.

Thanks for stopping by and Erin Go Bragh!

No comments: