Sunday, July 28, 2024

July Christmas cards: Cranberry Christmas

I try to limit the patterned paper I buy (simply because I already have more than enough), but recently my aunt asked me if I wanted any of the paper she was no longer using. When I saw the Cranberry Christmas stack (Die Cuts With a View), I knew it would make really pretty Christmas cards.

I decided to use the All Planned Out 1 die set (Taylored Expressions), which has been a go-to for me lately. I chose two pieces of patterned paper that I thought worked well together, but after I picked them I realized that the red piece has silver foil and the floral one has gold. I don't usually mix metallics when I'm making cards, but I figure Christmas cards is the perfect opportunity.

I cut the main die (to make the background pieces) five times from each 12" x 12" piece of paper. Then I adhered one piece of each pattern to a light gray card base. I had enough patterned paper leftover to make two more cards, each with just one of the patterns. (For the card with only the gray floral paper I used a Cherry Cobbler card base.) I die cut the strips from gold and silver foil card stock (six of each color) and used one strip for each card.

For seven of the twelve cards I used focal images from the the Cranberry Christmas paper, trimmed or die cut to fit the card layouts. I did add three die-cut "merry"s to the piece that looked like a journaling card (top right card in photo). For the other five cards I used a couple of dies from my stash: Nordic Tree (Erin Lee Creative) and Big Joy (Simon Says Stamp). I die cut each image two times for each card and glued the die cuts together to make them thicker. To finish each card I added sequins in either gold or silver to match the decorative strip.

I don't know if I've ever made gray Christmas cards before, but I think they elegant, especially with the metallic accents. Thanks for stopping by!


No comments: