Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Flowers for summer

I know the first official day of summer (in the Northern Hemisphere) isn't for a few more weeks yet, but June 1 always feels like the start of summer. So to celebrate the change of seasons, I'm sharing a fun textured, flowery birthday card.

Supplies:
Stamps: Inside Greetings - Birthday (Sunny Studio)
Paper: Sahara Sand, Pear Pizzazz, Garden Green, Calypso Coral, Blushing Bride, Daffodil Delight, Very Vanilla, Early Espresso card stock; vellum paper (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Early Espresso, Sahara Sand (Stampin' Up!)
Accessories: Window Box embossing folder/dies (Sizzix), Iridescent Sequin Assortment (Stampin' Up!), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute)

Isn't that fun? This is a special embossing folder that creates the embossed stone wall and die cuts the window at the same time. Then there are separate dies to cut out the flowers and butterflies. The two sides of the window can be opened and folded back, but I decided to leave them closed for this card. I also glued a piece of vellum behind them to look like frosted glass.

I wanted to add more depth and help the "stones" stand out in the background, so I used the same color ink refill as the card stock (Sahara Sand) and put a few drops in a little dish with a tiny bit of water. Then I used a paintbrush to lightly apply the ink to the embossed portions. I was purposely not very careful about applying the ink; I think that gives it a more rustic, realistic look.

Then I die cut and arranged the flowers and greenery using a variety a of card stock colors. And I was really excited to discover that the colors in the Iridescent Sequin Assortment totally matched the colors of the flowers, so I added those as flower centers and glued a few tiny around the tall flowers by the window. I added a banner strip stamped with "happy birthday" and adhered the panel to an Early Espresso card base.

I had a few flowers and a butterfly left over, so I added them to a panel of Very Vanilla card stock for the inside of the card. (Sorry it looks white. I didn't have good lighting for these photos.) The sentiment I used actually started with "Even if we can't be together, know that I am," but I wasn't sure I wanted that line since sometimes I deliver birthday cards in person. I thought the sentiment read just fine without that part, so I just inked up the last three lines and stamped it on my panel.

Thanks for stopping by!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Love all the detailed die cuts. What a great idea to use the vellum for the windows! The partial sentiment for the inside is perfect too. (And I'd agree as well, that June is the start of summer - and it's been hot enough to make sure we realize it!)
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks, Judy! I'm definitely ready for a break from this heat!