Thursday, June 24, 2021

Belated Father's Day

I'm a little late in sharing my Father's Day card this year -- or maybe I'm just really early for next year! -- but I thought it might spark ideas for masculine cards you may need for other occasions. (And my dad did get this card on time, which is the important part.) It's a simple layout that relies on cool patterned paper and a few die cuts.

Supplies:
Stamps: All the Fixings stamp and die combo (Taylored Expressions)
Paper: Thick Whisper White, Real Red, Gray Granite card stock (Stampin' Up!); Galvanized Metallic Paper (Stampin' Up!); Welcome Home 6" x 6" paper pad (Carta Bella)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black (Tsukineko)
Accessories: Screw brads (unknown), foam tape (3M), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute)

I knew I wanted to use the All the Fixings stamp and die combo for my dad's Father's Day card, but I wasn't sure what to do for the rest of the card. I flipped through some of my paper pads and found this sheet that looks like a blueprint. It was perfect! I trimmed the sheet down to A2 size (4-1/4" x 5-1/2") and glued it to a heavy white card base.

To make the tools, I die cut the shapes from Galvanized Metallic Paper and Real Red card stock. Then I trimmed the "handles" off the red pieces and glued them onto the metallic ones.

I stamped the sentiment on a piece of gray card stock (I chose a shade that was close to the color of the metallic paper) and matted it with red to create a narrow border along the top and bottom. I added two screw-shaped brads on the left side of the strip and used foam tape to attach it to the card base. Then I just added the die-cut tools.

I'm bummed that I forgot to take a picture of the inside of the card. I stamped a sentiment (from the same set) that said "You're a little nuts, but we still love you!" and added a few die-cut hex nuts. My dad has a good sense of humor, so I think he appreciated it. :)

A quick note before I go: I know my blog posting has been sporadic, to put it nicely, and it will probably continue that way for the next few months. My sister and I are planning to buy a house (eep!), which is both exciting and terrifying. We'll have a lot of work to do, so I don't know how much time I'll have for card making and blogging. I do still have a number of cards I haven't shared, though, so I will work on getting those posted here and there.

Thanks for stopping by!


4 comments:

Sunshine. said...

That's a great card for your Dad, and I bet he loved it! The Blueprint DSP is perfect for the card, and so ate the tools! A great card! Here in NZ Fathers Day is September 1st.
Have a great weekend, and happy house hunting!
Sunshine.

Anonymous said...

Super card - and love the idea of a punny/funny inside sentiment to carry on the tool theme!
Good luck with your house buying adventure. Hope you find a wonderful home - keep thinking about the exciting and joyful parts of the process!
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! Your comments always make me smile!

Andrea said...

Thank you, Judy! I'm trying not to get overwhelmed by all the parts of the process - and all the money!