Thursday, May 18, 2023

Challenges with patterned paper

Once I finished my Christmas cards and card sets at the craft retreat, I focused on making individual cards (mostly birthday ones) and completing challenges so I could mark off squares on my BINGO board. Today I'm sharing three of those challenge cards that I made with patterned paper. 


I really like this patterned paper with the different colored dots; it has a very summery, celebratory feel to me. And I think it works perfectly for these cards -- both as a background and as an accent. 

The top and left cards were both part of a sketch challenge. We had to make two cards using the same sketch, and if you rotate my left-hand card ninety degrees counterclockwise, you can see that both cards have the same basic layout: a narrow banner, a wider banner, and a rectangular element that goes across both banners. I added an additional small sentiment to each card and finished them with either clear droplets or gold sequins.

For the card on the bottom right, the challenge was to "scrap-lift" a layout from another retreat attendee. My aunt had made a 6" x 8" scrapbook page with a background made of different paper and card stock circles. I really liked that idea, so I adapted it for a card. I figured out I could fit six circles on an A2 card, so I started by die cutting two from the patterned paper. I chose three coordinating card stock colors, die cut the circles, and stamped a different tone-on-tone pattern on each circle. For the last circle I used gold foil. I glued the circles to a white card base, added two sentiment strips, and finished the card with gold sequins.

Thanks for stopping by!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great cards! Love the colors. I always appreciate the inspiration - patterned papers are such a challenge for me.
Judy

Anonymous said...

These are awesome Andrea! I love all the different colours! They remind me of Summer!
Sunshine.

Andrea said...

Thanks, Judy and Sunshine!

Anonymous said...

Love the cards. Glad you could adapt my layout into your card.