Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Bring on the cake

When I take out a stamp set to make a card, I usually try to make at least one other card with the set. And if I can, I mix up the color pallet and/or the style of the card to add some variety to my card stash. Since I've been in desperate need of birthday cards, last weekend I puled out the Birthday Bash stamp set from Gina K Designs and made two cake-themed cards.

For the card on the left, I wanted a neutral card. I used a white card base and stamped red dots/sprinkles/confetti on the background. I stamped "happy birthday" near the bottom of the card and added a narrow strip of red card stock along the bottom edge. For the focal image I stamped and cut out two of the cake slice images. One of my favorite cakes has always been yellow cake with chocolate frosting, so I used the opposite of that for this card. I added a red candle on each slice, and adhered the pieces to the card base with foam tape.

For the second card, I started by making a pink and brown layer cake. I wanted to add a third color, so I chose Coastal Cabana for the candles. I used pink card stock for the card base, stamped some pink confetti in the background, and then added a die-cut Coastal Cabana scalloped frame. To attach the cake focal image, I used an Action Wobble spring (that's why it looks a little lopsided in the photo). It's fun to watch the cake bounce around. For a finishing detail I added three Coastal Cabana glitter enamel dots.

This is the inside of the white card, and this sentiment is why I included two slices of cake on the front of the card. The sentiment is from the Anything-but-Basic Birthday Wishes stamp set from My Favorite Things. I love the fonts and humor of the sentiments, and I used it several times recently, so you'll be seeing more samples. I also stamped more red confetti inside to connect the inside to the front of the card.

Thanks for stopping by!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OM you have been BUSY lately! Those two cake cards made me hungry! (I love cake!) What a fun idea to put an action wobble under the cake! I can imagine how the cake and candles wobble when you move the card! lovely mix of colours, and I like how you matched the little enamel dots to the card colour! such fun cards!
Sunshine.

Andrea said...

Thank you, Sunshine! Cake is fun to stamp, but it's much more fun to eat! :)