Sunday, January 29, 2023

One stamp set, two looks

When I get out a stamp set to make cards, I typically try to make two or three cards using the set. And if I can, I try to make the cards different styles so I have a good variety in my stash. That's what I did a few weeks ago when I used the Fancy Phrases stamp set from Stampin' Up!.

With line-art stamp sets, one easy way to create different looks is to color in the images on one card and leave them uncolored on the other. I don't think I'd even notice that these two cards use the same flower image if I didn't already know it.

On the first card, the color combo (Calypso Coral and Rich Razzleberry), filigree background image, scalloped frame, loopy gold thread, and pearl embellishments all combine to create a feminine feel.

Because the stamp images have a "sketchy" style, I colored in the flowers very quickly, almost scribbling. I went outside the lines here and there and also left some white spots, but I don't think it matters here.

Inside the card I stamped the flower image again. I used Calypso Coral ink, stamping on scratch paper first to get a lighter color, and placed the image in the bottom left corner so the image went off the edge of the white layer.


For the second card, I used a more earthy color pallet of brown and green. It might not be quite a "masculine" card, but I think it definitely has a more neutral feel.


I repeatedly stamped the large flower image on a vanilla card base using Soft Suede ink, turning the image each time. I also wanted to add some green in the background, so I splattered the card base with metallic green paint and added a few light green pearls. I brought the colors together with brown and green striped ribbon.

Inside the card I stamped the sentiment with Soft Suede ink. I inked up the small flower image with Soft Suede, stamped it on scratch paper a couple of times, and then stamped it over the sentiment. (Originally I planned to stamp the images directly on the card base, but I accidentally smeared the sentiment. Oops! So I covered it up by stamping them again on a stitched die-cut shape that I adhered inside the card.)

I started a card-making challenge with my aunt and my friend for 2023: we have to make at least four Christmas cards and four birthday cards each month. (These are two of my birthday cards for this month.) Christmas cards will be no problem for me since I already do that. But I'm excited to have a plan for birthday cards, since I seem to use them as fast as I make them!

Thanks for stopping by!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say, I don't think I would have noticed the same stamp is used on both sets. Very nice! The tag on the inside of the card is great. I saw the photo before reading the reason, that's a good trick to have up one's sleeve. It adds a special touch - I'd use that idea intentionally. I always learn something new! Thanks for the ideas.
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks, Judy! I’m glad you like the tag inside - I was worried it looked too much like I was trying to cover up a mistake.😀