Saturday, January 21, 2023

January Christmas cards: Upcycled tissue paper

I know we're three weeks into January, but happy new year! I hope 2023 is treating you well so far. For my first post of the new year I'm going to share my January Christmas cards.


I actually made these cards in December, a few days after last Christmas. I had received a Christmas gift packaged with pretty red and green color block tissue paper, and I knew I wanted to use it for Christmas cards. So I put it to use right away!


I started the cards by making the background panels. I determined what size I wanted to make the panels and then cut eight pieces of vanilla card stock to that size and eight pieces of tissue paper slightly larger. I crumpled each piece of tissue paper into a tight ball and then carefully opened them up. I lightly coated one piece of vanilla card stock with glue, placed a piece of tissue paper over it, and gently pressed it down to adhere it to the card stock. (I was careful not to smooth out the wrinkles so it created a nice texture.) I wrapped the edges around to the back and secured them with double-sided tape and then used the same process to complete the rest of the panels.


For the card bases I used dark red card stock splattered with gold paint. Using foam tape, I adhered the panels to the card bases. I wanted a focal image that didn't cover too much of the tissue paper, so I die cut two sprigs for each card: one gold and one green. I also die cut the word "merry" in gold for each card. I glued those pieces to the panels and added a red twine bow and three enamel dots in either gold or red.

These cards have a more "traditional" feel than the Christmas cards I usually make, but I'm really pleased with how they turned out. I'll definitely keep this technique in mind for any pretty tissue paper I get in the future. :)

Thanks for stopping by!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another great idea Andrea! The tissue paper is so pretty, and the green and gold sprigs look just right on the cards! I must look out for pretty papers and try your idea! Th cards are fabulous! Love those gold flecks on the red card, so pretty! Have fun:-)
Sunshine xx

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I saved some tissue paper from a gift bag I received this past Christmas, (to pretty to toss, even though I didn't know what I might do with it.) This is a great idea to try. As always, thanks for sharing your creativity and for the inspirations.
Judy

Andrea said...

Thank you, Sunshine and Judy! It also would be fun to stamp your own tissue paper to use for this technique.