Thursday, February 4, 2021

Old stamp, new look

I've bought a lot of stamps over the years, and it's interesting to see how styles and trends (and my tastes) have changed. A lot of those stamps have come and gone, but I definitely have some favorites that I intend to hang onto for the long haul. It's fun to pull out those oldies-but-goodies and give them a new look, like this card featuring Love Is Kindness.

Supplies:
Stamps: Love Is Kindness (Stampin' Up!)
Paper: Night of Navy, Crumb Cake card stock (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Sugar Cube (Taylored Expressions); Deco Brush Metallic Markers - gold, green, pink (Karin); white paint pen (Posca)
Accessories: Skyscape Mini Coverplate dies (Catherine Pooler), jute twine (May Arts Ribbon), Opaque Bright White Fine embossing powder (Wow! Embossing Powder), foam tape (3M)

For my birthday last fall I received a set of Karin brand Deco Brush Metallic Markers, and I wanted to try coloring with them on dark card stock. The Love Is Kindness stamp was perfect because I could practice with the small areas in the tulips.

I stamped the image using white pigment ink on navy card stock and then embossed it with fine white detail white embossing powder. Then I used the metallic gold, green, and pink markers to color just the flowers and stems. I wanted to color to stand out, so I left the rest of the image plain and cut it out with a scalloped rectangle die.

To bring in some more white, I used a paint pen to add a dotted border around the scallops. I repeated the dots next to each tulip using the same color as the flower. For embellishment, I punched a small hole on either side of the base of the bouquet, threaded some twine through the holes, and tied it off in a bow.

I struggled with what color card base to use for this card. My first inclination was to use white, but that actually ended up looking too stark. So I settled on Crumb Cake, which I think looks nice with the twine bow, and used foam tape to attach the navy panel.

Do you like to get out old stamps to use with new techniques or tools? Give it a try!

Thanks so much for stopping by today!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first thing that caught my eye was the Navy / Kraft color combo - very nice! I've been papercrafting for quite awhile, so I am trying to use what I have on hand - or at least take a careful look at what I have before ordering something new.
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks, Judy! I'm trying to do better about using what I have on hand, too. :) Several months last year I set a goal to use 10 as-yet-unused products each month. I might need to do something like that this year, but maybe focus on giving new life to some older items.

Sunshine. said...

Love the white embossing on the navy cardstock! Such a yummy colour combo!
Love the cards!
Sunshine.

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine!